Hard restart when engine warm..solved!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard restart when engine warm..solved!!

Lizard

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited V8
History: Engine would start easily when cold, but if I drove awhile then parked for 30 minutes or so, it would take approx. five seconds of cranking before it would start, then another five seconds of sputtering until it would smooth out. Checked fuel pressure...perfect at 65psi, but would drop like a rock once I turned the engine off. 65 to 0 in 15 seconds. Thinking "check valve," I tore into removing the tank. Had to work on some other issues anyway ( see thread "P1450 solved":cool:) Dropped the tank, and pulled out the pump assembly. Used my own 'hot air' :fire: and blew into the pump outlet fitting and couldn't detect any leakdown. Examined the two small sections of fuel hose and saw that I could spin the top section of hose around pretty easily. Hooked up an air compresser line to the pump outlet, squirted some soapy water on the fuel hoses and clamps and introduced ~20psi of air and immediately saw bubbling from around the top two hose clamps. Ford uses those cheesy single use CV-style pinch clamps on those hoses. I decided to replace the clamps and the two small 2" sections of hose. In doing a little research, I discovered that you have to use special "submersible" fuel hose which can be used inside the fuel tank. 30R10 rating, and only several manufacturers of it in the world!:eek: Gates makes it and I ordered it through a local store manned by some old-timers with a slew of specialty catalogs. Gates part #27093 for 5/16th and #27097 for 3/8th, for future searchers. My '99 used the 5/16. Pricey at $25.00/ft. I also used some good fuel injection band clamps. Starts up like a champ now, and as a side benefit, has also cured about 95% of some pinging under load issues I had. :thumbsup:

--Lizard

Thanks for posting the fix. I learn a lot from them.

Jay, thanks for the feedback. Just chronicling some of my 'adventures' with the hopes that someone will read my drivel and benefit by it.

Back