• Register Today It's free!

Hard Reverse 5R55S

GliderMike

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Montaineer
This is my first post. Lot's of great info. I have a 2004 Mountaineer that shifts into reverse with a bang. Took it to the local tranny "expert" who replaced the solenoid pack. The first one didn't work. He said he had all kind of fault codes. Ordered another pack and this one cleared up the codes, but it still shifts into reverse with a bang. He put in the old solenoid pack and told me I need a tranny rebuild for $2200. When I asked him if this was a Genuine Ford part or a rebuilt pack, he said it was new, just the Ford part numbers are gound off!! Whats next?? This was it's first fluid change at 60K as far as I can tell. The fluid looked good. Only tow a glider trailer so it's not seen heavy use.
New info, seems much worse after it warms up. Really hammers after a 10 mile trip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm dealing with the same thing right now. It seems to be a common problem but info is hard to come by. I bought an Explorer 3 weeks ago and the day after I brought it home it started. I put a new $300 dollar "Solenoid Body Assembly" Friday. It seemed to work good until today and it started again. I could have got an assembly for $200 but I didn't want to wait. I don't know where to go from here. I may try a valve body kit from Superior or the reverse servo seals from Transtec. I'll let you know what I find out. I may also try a full fluid change and add the XL-11 additive that ford recommends. I looked up the tsb on this problem and it only mentioned vehicles built prior to 9/24/04. Mine was built 2/05.

Thanks to BrooklynBay I have the solenoid pack and valve body on the way for less than $175. I also have the shop manual coming and I'm rounding up a 300 psi gage and hoses to check the pressures. I'll let you know how I'm making out also.

I know a paid way too much for mine. I didn't want to wait. I guess I have less time than money. I would like to return it since it didn't work but I don't see that happening.

If you look at other site postings you will see the "hard reverse" problem is usally cleared up by installing the solenoid block. But, you will also see complaints where that replacement only cured it for a short period of time. There is something else going on here. After reading every posting on the 5r55 tranny, I'm guessing that it is the valve body. If not, I guess I'll learn how to do a complete rebuild!! Stay tuned....

My '99 5R55 shifts hard into Reverse AND Drive, but only when it's cold. Then it's fine.

Update

I thought I'd post my progress with the hard reverse in my 5R55S transmission. I didn';t install the solenoid block or valve body. I did change the fluid and filter. After about 500 miles or careful driving, which included parking it so I could pull straight out and not use reverse, it seems to have cleared itself of the problem. I'm guessing a piece of dirt somewhere. I hope it keeps working.
If you are having this problem and the other gers are fine, I'd try the fluid and filter first.

I did the fluid and filter first along with the solenoid and it works properly sometimes then other times it has a the harsh/delayed reverse along with a delayed engagement to drive. I may swap out the valve body soon. Hopefully that helps. The fluid was clean when I changed it so I know it's not anything to do with clutches or bands.

Back