hard starting 00 mountianeer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hard starting 00 mountianeer.

anthony k

Reaction score
2000, awd. 5.0. 204,000 miles

was hard starting about 2 months ago. wasnt building or holding fuel pressure, verified with gauge. replaced the fuel pump and sender. everything was ok..

last week i had a remote started installed. worked perfect for about a few days...then would crank and not start on all 3 attempts the unit makes. but it sounded really close. so i had the installer lengthen the crank time, after driving to the shop 45mins. it worked just fine after he adjusted the start timing. now that its cold out again.........no start. have tried cycling it 10x. so 30 attempts. no start. key in and it starts up.

the FPR might not be holding pressure?
have the installer re-adjust the timing?
what other problems should i look for?

has new fuel filter too

side note. i have the ticking under accel. and just read the sticky on it...........nice!

Maybe the tach signal wire is messed up?

Could there be a problem with the PATS bypass?

is the engine showing any other signs of age? hesitation or bad milage? might need a good cleaning and new plugs

if its a 2000 with 204k miles on it, id say give the engine a full tune up - plugs, wires, filters, rotor/ignition coil (which ever the mountineer has) and have the injectors cleaned.

My 93 explorer had some issues starting (more or less what your saying, other than i dont go to a mechanic) i did a full tune up and it runs like a dream, granted i also have half the mileage you do but still.

Back