Hard wiring dash cam in a 2017 XLT question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard wiring dash cam in a 2017 XLT question

My camera has a “parking mode” that will record any incident while the vehicle is parked. Good to have in case someone hits me in a parking lot or a break-in (provided they don’t steal the camera itself!). This feature requires hardwiring.
Chris:

What did you end up doing? I ordered the Vantrue hardwire kit for my cam and plan to go down the A-pillar to the fusebox.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chris:

What did you end up doing? I ordered the Vantrue hardwire kit for my cam and plan to go down the A-pillar to the fusebox.

Yes, I tucked wire in the headliner along the top of the windshield, then down the drivers side A-pillar to the fuse box. The A-pillar is easy to pop off with no tools.

DAMN!

I can't find the in-cabin fuse box in my 2018 Ex Platinum to wire in my dash cam. I have looked and looked all under the dash, removed the cover under the steering column and I don't see ANYTHING that looks like a fuse box cover.

HELP Please!

TIA.
Michael

DAMN!

I can't find the in-cabin fuse box in my 2018 Ex Platinum to wire in my dash cam. I have looked and looked all under the dash, removed the cover under the steering column and I don't see ANYTHING that looks like a fuse box cover.

HELP Please!

TIA.
Michael
Have you checked out these threads MIchael?
Cabin fuse box location
Accessing cabin fuse box??
I don't know if there have been any changes to the location since I doubt Ford could find a more inconvenient place to put it.;)
Good luck.

Peter

I searched the forums and didn't find those threads.

I found the cabin fuse box on my own. You have to be a contortionist to get to it and work on it.
My fusebox didn't have a cover or a fuse puller.

I decided to tap off of the map light and the mirror circuits for the two devices I need to power. I need constant power for my dash cam (parking protection requires power all the time but very low draw as it goes to sleep and has a built-in battery protector for low voltage) so I will tap off the map light.
I will tap off the mirror for another annunciator device on my dash that only needs to work with the vehicle on.

Pictures to follow.

I decided to tap off of the map light and the mirror circuits for the two devices I need to power. I need constant power for my dash cam (parking protection requires power all the time but very low draw as it goes to sleep and has a built-in battery protector for low voltage) so I will tap off the map light.
I will tap off the mirror for another annunciator device on my dash that only needs to work with the vehicle on.

Pictures to follow.
Hello... I'm getting ready to install a dashcam and as you know, tapping the fuse box is just about impossible. Were you able to document your experience installing using the map light? I also have the parking option but I understand that it will draw power, no matter how low, forever until the camera is turned off. What have you done to prevent that? Thanks...

I was able to tap the fuse box just fine with an add a fuse kit. If you want to use the parking feature, you are going to need a three wire kit (ground, constant power, acc power). The acc power is used to let the camera know when to switch to parking mode. The kit I used has a voltage cut off so that it won't kill your battery. Some cameras also have this built in but it depends on the model. I have a 2018 sport and I was able to tap fuse 27 and 37.

I was able to tap the fuse box just fine with an add a fuse kit. If you want to use the parking feature, you are going to need a three wire kit (ground, constant power, acc power). The acc power is used to let the camera know when to switch to parking mode. The kit I used has a voltage cut off so that it won't kill your battery. Some cameras also have this built in but it depends on the model. I have a 2018 sport and I was able to tap fuse 27 and 37.
Unfortunately, Ford did not fix the fuse box access until the later models. I have a 2015 Sport and you truly have to be a contortionist to lay on your back with your head just under the brake pedal....while using both hands to remove the cover, install the fuse tap, find a ground connection, attach the connection and then extricate yourself. Hopefully, whatever you did will work otherwise, you will have to go in again....

Have a look at this one; How-To: Mirrortap install for 2016+ Explorer (for Radar Detector / Dash Cam)
Here is a thread about using the power wire in the 'A' pillar. Thinkware F750 front & rear dashcam hardwire install (Ford Explorer 2011-2017) Apparently it is not the same in all model years.
P.S. I like that Avatar better. ;)

Peter
Hi, Peter...thanks for the info.... I have a 2015 Sport and as you know, Ford did not improve the fuse box access until later models. I did find the post with the 'A' pillar tap. My only question was to try to figure out which wires to tap. I will have to find a schematic and figure it out. I'm not sure if his and mine are the same. Don't want to poke holes to find the right one - unless you have an idea how to do that?

Have a look at this one; How-To: Mirrortap install for 2016+ Explorer (for Radar Detector / Dash Cam)
Here is a thread about using the power wire in the 'A' pillar. Thinkware F750 front & rear dashcam hardwire install (Ford Explorer 2011-2017) Apparently it is not the same in all model years.
P.S. I like that Avatar better. ;)

Peter
I also found the info on mirror tap but the tapping process and the device to monitor battery usage apparently is pretty unreliable. Plus it's alot of junk stuffed behind the mirror, at least on mine. 2015 does not have the large plastic like the 2016 that this person has so no where to hide stuff.

Back