Hard wiring dash cam in a 2017 XLT question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard wiring dash cam in a 2017 XLT question

Teek5449

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Greetings all,

I was hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction. I have recently purchased a dash cam for my 2017 Explorer XLT and would like to hard wire it. I am not interested in using a fuse tap and would like to keep it simple and wire it in the pillar since it's easy to get to. My wiring is different than the other thread with pictures of a red wire that is 12V with accessory. I do not have that red wire. I can start to poke around and test the wires but the airbag makes me a bit nervous. I have read stories of people setting them off by accidentally shorting the wires while probing.

So, in short, does anyone know definitively what wire in the driver or passenger side pillar is 12V accessory?

Thanks for helping

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're really worried about blowing an airbag snipping the wrong wire, the Add-a-Fuse route is really the way to go... separately fused circuits for the originally owned component and dashcam, connect to ground, and enjoy.

It's worked really well in my Explorer. I did have one add-a-fuse fail, but I replaced it and life has been fine since.

I know that's not the answer you want, but given your concerns I felt it necessary to mention anyway. I will let the rest of our capable colleagues answer your question more directly.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Greetings all,

I was hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction. I have recently purchased a dash cam for my 2017 Explorer XLT and would like to hard wire it. I am not interested in using a fuse tap and would like to keep it simple and wire it in the pillar since it's easy to get to. My wiring is different than the other thread with pictures of a red wire that is 12V with accessory. I do not have that red wire. I can start to poke around and test the wires but the airbag makes me a bit nervous. I have read stories of people setting them off by accidentally shorting the wires while probing.

So, in short, does anyone know definitively what wire in the driver or passenger side pillar is 12V accessory?

Thanks for helping
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Some members have tapped into the rearview mirror to power their radar detectors. Not sure if that would provide the clean install that you are looking for.
Also, please add the trim (XLT) of the Explorer to your profile so it always shows in the margin. That can be useful info. Thanks.

Peter

If you have an auto-dimming rearview mirror, then you should have power and ground located at the mirror power connector. Using a simple mirror tap for a radar detector (splice into the mirror tap wires) in combination with testing the wires with a DVOM should get you up and running in a matter of minutes. If that doesn't work, there should be switched +12V power in the driver side a-pillar. If you are not confident enough to know what wires to check, then take it to an electronics installation facility for them to install your dash cam.

I hard wired my camera but used a 5V stepdown as the camera runs on USB. I gutted out the circuit board from the cigarette lighter adapter, de-soldered two terminals then replaced them with wire leads tapping 12VDC + & - from the harness.

I hard wired my camera but used a 5V stepdown as the camera runs on USB. I gutted out the circuit board from the cigarette lighter adapter, de-soldered two terminals then replaced them with wire leads tapping 12VDC + & - from the harness.
The 5th generation has 12V outlets but they are not for cigarette lighters so the power supplied there is probably different.

Peter

Yes I pulled the overhead console and tapped into the harness there, I used a test light and a meter to find the conditions I needed. A map light circuit IIRC. I tucked the circuit board for the stepdown into a vacant cavity in the headliner. It's a very clean install, with just a six inch micro USB cable running down with the mirror wiring. Very discreet. You can even charge your phone on it in a pinch. I realize this may not cross over to a 5G, but it may help.

please add the trim (XLT) of the Explorer to your profile
Done, thanks for the suggestion.

I am comfortable with electronics but not with small explosives 12" from my head. I was hoping for a simple, "I tapped the green wire with the yellow tracer in the driver side A pillar main connector." I know that everyone is being helpful but is there any specific information out there? I have the hard wire kit that steps down the voltage from 12V to 5V so that is not an issue. Can anyone at least tell me what color/tracer wire the air bag is? What I find frustrating testing in the Explorer is how the accessory power is supplied on a timer even after the engine is shut off. Seeing 12V on engine running and after is very misleading.

I have always been able to download the factory repair manuals for my previous vehicles in the past to look up exactly what I need in a few minutes. This is the first vehicle that I have owned that this option is not immediately available. I was hoping that someone had one already and could just look up the connector and find the pin location of the 12V accessory wire running through it.

Again, immensely grateful for the suggestions, I am pursuing the "tapping into the auto dimming mirror" route sans a better picture of pillar wiring.

You can try sending a PM to sheltonfilms and/or jmr061. I believe one of them may have a repair manual.

Peter

Done, thanks for the suggestion.

I am comfortable with electronics but not with small explosives 12" from my head. I was hoping for a simple, "I tapped the green wire with the yellow tracer in the driver side A pillar main connector." I know that everyone is being helpful but is there any specific information out there? I have the hard wire kit that steps down the voltage from 12V to 5V so that is not an issue. Can anyone at least tell me what color/tracer wire the air bag is? What I find frustrating testing in the Explorer is how the accessory power is supplied on a timer even after the engine is shut off. Seeing 12V on engine running and after is very misleading.

I have always been able to download the factory repair manuals for my previous vehicles in the past to look up exactly what I need in a few minutes. This is the first vehicle that I have owned that this option is not immediately available. I was hoping that someone had one already and could just look up the connector and find the pin location of the 12V accessory wire running through it.

Again, immensely grateful for the suggestions, I am pursuing the "tapping into the auto dimming mirror" route sans a better picture of pillar wiring.

Hey... did you ever get a solution to this?? If so, could you please let me know where you did it and the wires used?? I'm in a similar quandary. Thanks!!!!!

Hey... did you ever get a solution to this?? If so, could you please let me know where you did it and the wires used?? I'm in a similar quandary. Thanks!!!!!
Just to let you know Jeff, in case you don't get a reply, that the member you quoted was last here December 29, 2016.

Peter

Also you can check out post #10 -- the link of how I did it precisely (a-pillar method).

I’m planning to hardwire my dashcam this weekend using add a fuse method. Fuse panel should be easier to access once I remove the plastic panel under the steering column. Although I’m expecting it to be a bit tricky reaching up under there, I figured it’s the safest route to go and also gives me flexibility which circuits to tap into. Wish me luck!

If you don't need it ON all the time why not just use the 12V outlet in the front media compartment'? It is already fused and ready to go.

Peter

My camera has a “parking mode” that will record any incident while the vehicle is parked. Good to have in case someone hits me in a parking lot or a break-in (provided they don’t steal the camera itself!). This feature requires hardwiring.

I tapped with add-a-fuses the RCM fuse (switched) and APIM (not switched). Works beautifully. Good luck.

For those worried about tapping the RCM, I honestly wouldn't be--if you knock out that module, the IPC will fire off the airbag light tell-tale. And, plus, with an add-a-fuse, it's separately circuited independent of the dashcam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that's about the dumbest thing I ever heard. Windshield obstruction? Mine's installed between the rear-view mirror and the windshield. I can't even see it when I'm driving. Good thing it doesn't matter here. I've been in two accidents that would have been deemed 50% my fault if it weren't for dashcam footage proving it was 100% the other guys fault. It's paid for itself.

Back