Has anyone had luck getting prior Municipality service records? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone had luck getting prior Municipality service records?

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
City, State
Southern, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
I didn’t see such a thread, so I’m curious if any secondary PIU owner has been successful in acquiring the prior Municipality’s maintenance or service records?

Is it safe to say that when looking for a used PIU Explorer that it was well maintained before it was released/retired to the public?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn’t see such a thread, so I’m curious if any secondary PIU owner has been successful in acquiring the prior Municipality’s maintenance or service records?

Is it safe to say that when looking for a used PIU Explorer that it was well maintained before it was released/retired to the public?
Even if it was, they'll have usually had multiple drivers, with different levels of use.
But it's a crapshoot.

Even if it was, they'll have usually had multiple drivers, with different levels of use.
But it's a crapshoot.

Aren’t the Police/Special Service vehicles serviced by “pool” within the municipality garages (or contracted shop) and not serviced by who was the assigned driver?

Aren’t the Police/Special Service vehicles serviced by “pool” within the municipality garages (or contracted shop) and not serviced by who was the assigned driver?
I believe that is fairly standard procedure, but just the way people drive is different and was what I was referring to.

I believe that is fairly standard procedure, but just the way people drive is different and was what I was referring to.
Being a PIU, I'm guessing it driven basically the same by its drivers....hard. At least if the show Live PD is any example.

Peter

Usage varies depending on whether it was a patrol or admin unit. Good luck getting municipal service records. Probably going to either have to know someone or foia them unless it was serviced at a local shop which you can try finding out and asking. Not all are serviced by a municipal garage.

If you go to the ford dealer, they can print out a complete list of repairs under warranty. Most gov shops won't do work under warranty. They were able to show me that my Water pump was just replaced before i picked it up from auction.

Trevor

If you go to the ford dealer, they can print out a complete list of repairs under warranty. Most gov shops won't do work under warranty. They were able to show me that my Water pump was just replaced before i picked it up from auction.

Trevor
That can be done for any Ford. Warranty repairs and maintenance records are two completely different things though.

That can be done for any Ford. Warranty repairs and maintenance records are two completely different things though.
Right. But more than likely this vehicle was "maintained". I have never heard of an agency that doesn't get oil changes and tires. I was thinking he wanted to know if the vehicle has had any issues and if so were they addressed.

Right. But more than likely this vehicle was "maintained". I have never heard of an agency that doesn't get oil changes and tires. I was thinking he wanted to know if the vehicle has had any issues and if so were they addressed.
Not sure what you are implying. Warranty is only 3/36 b2b and 5/100 pt for municipal/fleet customer. There's a whole lot of stuff that could show up on maintenance records that won't be on warranty records.

I wouldn't assume anything was done correctly from the gov (local/county/state/fed) either. Budgets vary and corners get cut all the time.

Not sure of the laws in your state, but in TN we can file an open Records request for government documents. I just sent a request in to the Department of Public Safety stating the VIN # of my former Trooper PIU and a request for copies of all service and maintenance records related to the vehicle.

I’m just glad that accidents, total loses and salvage gets reported on the Carfax but I’m still surprised an accident would show on Carfax since the accident doesn’t go through insurance company and usually just fixed by the local municipality.

Back