Has ford fixed the rear end howl for the 2006-2007's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has ford fixed the rear end howl for the 2006-2007's

crazyfb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
I have a 2002 xlt, and I've had the rear end rebuilt 3 times, and now its acting up again. First, has ford fixed this problem for the new 2006-2007 models? Also, do you think that my dealer or possibly ford should be flipping the bill for the fourth rear end rebuild?? What about using the lemon law?? I only have 75,000 miles on it!

I personally have installed two pairs of differental side bearings in my 2001 sport w/8.8" 3.73 rear end. I have also replaced a couple of outer wheel bearings. I think this is total crap on fomoco's part. The truck had a bearing howling when I bought it used @ 67,000 miles so I thought no problem, I'm a mechanic, I'll fix it for cheap......now after I installed the bearings this last time, I have noise again after only a few thousand miles. I am not a shadetree. I grew up learning from dad, a journeyman mechanic of over 45years experience, and I am also a journeyman mechanic, not a novice(which can;t always be said for the techs at ford dealerships/some of them, not all or even most). I can't believe ford hasn't been sued over this, or maybe they have, who knows. Back to you, I don't think it is too unreasonable to expect a major driveline part to last 200,000 miles without major reapir work. Basic fluid changes should be all that is required. My Sport is touted to have a rear differential fluid change interval of 100,000 miles. I've changed it several times now with each new set of bearings and that's nowhere near 100k! I was raised to buy American, and I do, but I am beginning to question why we should support American companies who clearly sell inferior/substandard vehicals.

p.s. my 1995 bronco had rearend problems too. shows how smart I am to buy another ford.

I was raised to buy American, and I do, but I am beginning to question why we should support American companies who clearly sell inferior/substandard vehicals.

I agree with you. I had a 2004 Mountaineer that I filed a lemon law on and now my 2006 that I replaced it with is getting the same treatment. It's no wonder that Ford is nose diving into the ground. I had a 1996 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD that never saw the shop for warranty work, so I figured I would buy another with the excellent service that I got out of the '96. That's when I bought my 2004. What a piece of crap that thing was. I had huge electrical problems with it to the tune of 18 pages of repair orders. Lemon law time. Got the 2006 and I'd like to shove that 6 speed transmission right up Ford's ass. If Ford closed up shop because of bankruptcy I would not shed a for them. After I get the lemon law completed on the 2006 there will be a GMC Yukon in the driveway to replace it.

I have a 2002 xlt, and I've had the rear end rebuilt 3 times, and now its acting up again. First, has ford fixed this problem for the new 2006-2007 models? Also, do you think that my dealer or possibly ford should be flipping the bill for the fourth rear end rebuild?? What about using the lemon law?? I only have 75,000 miles on it!

A lot of the problems with the 2002's were due to a new limited slip rear end design. For the 2006+ trucks limited slip is not an option anymore due to the traction control. The only major problem with these newer models (at least with the 2006 for sure) is the 6 speed transmission that comes with the V8.

Back