Has the 2011 Ex hit dealer lots yet? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has the 2011 Ex hit dealer lots yet?

edge929

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Anyone know? Based on the fact that they are being made in Chicago, I would assume Chicago-area dealers would be getting them first and I heard they were starting production at the beginning of this month (Nov).

I ordered one back in early September, still need to call the dealership for any news. I figure, like when I ordered it, I'll know more about it than they will. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got an email about a sneak preview tonight at a local dealer. Not sure I can make it.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,938

Report: Ford Explorer orders nearly double expectations

autoblog.com said:
The 2011 Ford Explorer is a drastic departure from its predecessors, ditching body-on-frame construction in favor of a unibody structure, and sharing its platform with the Taurus sedan (as well as the Flex, Lincoln MKS and MKT). This shift to a traditional crossover construction has not turned away buyers, however, and Ford reports that Explorer pre-orders have nearly doubled original projections.

According to The Detroit News, Ford has received roughly 15,000 orders for the 2011 Explorer. This includes about 3,000 retail and 7,500 dealer orders, as well as an additional 4,500 orders from companies.

Jason Mase, Ford's manager of utility vehicles, told The Detroit News that about 55 percent of buyers are opting for the trailer tow package, and 64 percent want all-wheel drive. Mase says that consumers don't really care if the vehicle is a crossover or an SUV, the major concern is that the vehicle fits their specific needs. So far, so good, and Ford expects this trend to continue after the Explorer officially hits dealerships in early 2011.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/28/report-ford-explorer-orders-nearly-double-expectations/

Nice. Now put in the V6 EcoBoost and I'll take one..:thumbsup:

I ordered one back in early September, still need to call the dealership for any news. I figure, like when I ordered it, I'll know more about it than they will. :rolleyes:

You've got that happy right. :D

They have not yet hit lots here...

BTW, does anybody know if it is confirmed by Ford that and if so, when they will be offering the V6 EcoBoost?

A marketing company that Ford apparently hired for a social media outreach program told me the 2011 won't start production until December, so 2 more days or so, and will hit dealer lots at the end of December at the earliest. I've read one report from someone else who pre-ordered that the dealership told him mid January.

As for the V6 eco-boost, I would think it would be mid-2011 before it was available, if at all. The standard V6 in the 2011 is equal in HP but nowhere near the V8 in torque, so I assume that's what you're after, for towing?

Torque
2011 V6 = 255 @ 4,100
2010 V8 = 315 @ 4,000

The standard V6 in the 2011 is equal in HP but nowhere near the V8 in torque, so I assume that's what you're after, for towing?

Torque
2011 V6 = 255 @ 4,100
2010 V8 = 315 @ 4,000

Well, not only for towing. I'm just thinking that an additional 70 HP and about 100 torque at equal (if not better MPG) is a good thing to have, especially on such a huge and heavy vehicle. If they put it in a Taurus and F-150, why not in the Explorer?

I'm planning on buying the Explorer sometime early in 2012, so hopefully it will be available by then.:(

The Explorer started production today at the Chicago plant. Should hit dealers next month.

Kinda silly that the Taurus and Flex are getting V6 EcoBoost but not the new Explorer. Will be interesting to see how the 4 Cyl. Ecoboost performs.

I heard the EPA numbers are out; V6 AWD is 17/23. That's an inprovement in the low-mid 20% range over the 2010.

The new SHO is a nice looking car with great numbers to back up the price difference. Hopefully Ford keeps going in the right direction with their styling :burnout:

I rented the new Taurus this past summer. For me, two things that need fixing is the rear visibility and the width of that center stack. My right leg had no room whatsover, always had the edge of the stack pressing my leg. Looks nice, but feels terrible after a 400 mile day. Sure hope the new EX console isn't designed this way.

The new SHO is a nice looking car with great numbers to back up the price difference. Hopefully Ford keeps going in the right direction with their styling :burnout:

I think the Taurus is pretty decent looking. But it's too frakkin' tall. I looked at one the other day at my local stealership and that thing's almost as tall as I am! It's crazy! I'll never drive one though. I just can't bring myself to iintentionally drive a wrong-wheel-drive car. I have no choice at work because our company cars are Tauruses and Impalas. And I hate every minute I have to sit in either of them.

According the various Detroit/Dearborn/Chicago based newspaper articles around the start of the 2011 Ex production, it sounds like the first dealers will be seeing them on lots within a week or 2. If you happen to see one on your local dealer's lots, be sure to chime in. I'd like to see how they are proliferating (from Chicago outwards or do the highest-performing dealerships get them first for example).

Typically the larger volume dealers that maintain the highest customer service scores are in line to get the first batches. A friend of mine at Ford just did a national search for them and it appears that Sheehy Ford in Springfield, VA is the only dealer listed with one en route so far. It will be a Kona Blue XLT with NAV. MSRP of $37,700.

L6.jpg

Nice, thanks for the info/link guys. Why I love the internet, there's always somebody who knows more than you do at SOMETHING (if not everything) :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anybody know how these differences will affect reliability? I'm dirt broke, so I want to make sure we're still talking about an EXPLORER, here. Like the 2000 I owned that got me home through four cities with a cracked engine block after I blew the timing belt. (RIP; you were a such a good vehicle and I miss you every day :( ) I bought that thing for $900, dropped about $400 for new bearings in the front, and it went for about two years with NO MAINTENANCE before I finally blew that timing belt. AND I COULD STILL DRIVE IT! (on battery alone!)

Another Explorer I owned had rusted out completely on the bottom. The whole exhaust was out, but it did not make me sick with exhaust. (I get bronchitus if air pollution levels are up.) It also would not pass inspection because the running board was rusted out where the door closes on the bottom and they said someone could lose a leg... so my uncle and I filled it in with newspaper and Bondo and it passed inspection the same day.

Will this 2011 Explorer live up to my expectations?

Back