Has the 2011 Ex hit dealer lots yet? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has the 2011 Ex hit dealer lots yet?

Does anybody know how these differences will affect reliability? I'm dirt broke, so I want to make sure we're still talking about an EXPLORER, here. Like the 2000 I owned that got me home through four cities with a cracked engine block after I blew the timing belt. (RIP; you were a such a good vehicle and I miss you every day :( ) I bought that thing for $900, dropped about $400 for new bearings in the front, and it went for about two years with NO MAINTENANCE before I finally blew that timing belt. AND I COULD STILL DRIVE IT! (on battery alone!)

I'm assuming you meant "serpentine belt", since Explorers don't have timing belts.

Anyway, FWD drivetrains are inherently fragile, difficult to work on, and expensive to maintain.

Another Explorer I owned had rusted out completely on the bottom. The whole exhaust was out, but it did not make me sick with exhaust. (I get bronchitus if air pollution levels are up.) It also would not pass inspection because the running board was rusted out where the door closes on the bottom and they said someone could lose a leg... so my uncle and I filled it in with newspaper and Bondo and it passed inspection the same day.

Will this 2011 Explorer live up to my expectations?

Can't say. I know it won't live up to mine. But I have high standards:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that how the vehicle is driven and maintained from day one will decide the longevity of the drivetrain. I'll say this- I've had 3 Gen II Explorers so far.

My first:

...'95 ControlTrac. That one I sold with 230k+ on it, with the original trans, transfer case, CV's, U Joints, and Driveshafts. Only thing done in the 2 years I owned it from 170k to 230k+ was that I changed the rear end fluid when I was fixing a leak, put on a set of tires, shocks, a radiator, sway bar body bushings to tighten things up, and some various sensors/nitpick stuff. It was bulletproof, it just drove and never left me stranded. I miss Snowball. :D

I sold that one, and bought a '97 V8 AWD:

...due to being worried about having something happen to the trans in my '95, and wanting to sell it before it did since the '95 was a weak year for the trans even though it had no issues when I sold it, and because the V8 AWD drivetrain was pretty much as good as it gets.

I started working on that one the first week. New CV axles, new wheel bearings, new u-joints, new transfercase, new front driveshaft, and when I sold it the front axle was going out. Not bulletproof.

Sold that one and got my current Ex, 2000 V8 AWD.

...It's got a strong shifting trans, but trying to diagnose issues as well with this, haven't owned 'er long enough to know everything yet as I just now started driving it daily.

So my story is, the fragile-as-glass '95 trans never gave me trouble. Ever. The bulletproof V8 AWD I 'needed to have' gave me nothing but trouble, and I hope this one will be different.

I know my '95 was maintained, and the '97 was beat on and probably not as well maintained. Given a choice, I'd rather have a maintained FWD than a beat on and non-maintained RWD/AWD as there are many more parts to maintain for trouble-free driving involved in a 4WD/AWD, I know I'd spend too much bringing a non-maintained AWD back to life to my standards, which is why I sold the '97. I don't think many cars anymore are built "inherently weak", I think many have questionable owners that don't keep the vehicle serviced, expecting them to need nothing but gas for the life of the vehicle, or beat the hell out of them and don't maintain them accordingly...

Are FWD vehicles harder to maintain? They're tighter up there, that's for sure. I don't know, I've replaced enough parts on my AWD Ex's that would be similar parts that I would replace on a FWD car. They're all expensive to maintain as they near the end of their life cycle, IMHO.

Ok, I'm bored at work... So I'll toss a bunch out and exit the 2011 discussion for a while, erin. I'd prefer to give it a chance to BE good or bad before deciding it is an abject failure.

Will it meet expectations? Don't know. They're not out yet, so nobody but the long range test engineers can even realistically say, and everyone's expectations are different. Some have very specific expectations that the new Ex will never meet, because it doesn't meet a specific checklist of features. That is different as well- I doubt that even if a new Ex plopped in someone like thaywood's driveway, he would be happy with it if it ran 200k+ trouble free miles, simply because it isn't a RWD based vehicle. And that's fair- he has specific expectations, and completely entitled to them as a consumer, who can show displeasure by not buying one or even saying how much it sucks. :)

As the markets shift, some consumers' expectations may have to shift, or he like other buyers may need to look to other brands if deciding to buy new. No vehicle can meet every expectation of every consumer. Will they meet yours? That's up to you to experience and decide. I can only say that it is a very well engineered vehicle completely starting over, so it's a complete unknown, and it's up to trusting Ford engineers who have been building great vehicles for a few years now. It won't be a Gen I Explorer, but technology improves, and the new Ex should be able to do things that the old Ex couldn't, even though there are still things that the Gen I did that the new 2011 can't. It's a different vehicle with a somewhat different purpose- urban transportation. I think the issue is that it's viewed as 'backwards' by a lot of us, when the original one could be described as backwards by a lot of the buyers of the first gen Ex.

When the old Ex made it's debut, it was sold as a very capable off-road truck on a frame with bad gas mileage that most people put up with because gas was cheap and it had room to haul stuff and never left pavement or towed anything. Now, once people have gotten away from the Ex and sales dwindled due to the rise of gas prices and people honestly saying "hey, I can really use a CUV or car for what I used my Ex for..." Ford is responding by building an Ex that meets those requirements at the expense of the heavy off-road community since I'm sure it'll be minimally modifiable if there even is an aftermarket. It still has off-road capability, but it's not twin traction beam, or torsion bar. It's not on a frame, it's a unibody like the Grand Cherokee. It will get much better gas mileage after the full compliment of engines is fitted, and will be a great vehicle for 90% of the potential buyers and their needs. It won't climb rocks, and it won't roast the rear tires off. So, I think it's better positioned to attract the most potential buyers, and that's Ford's job. It's a bit of a leap of faith for consumers such as yourself...

I said FWD drivetrains are "inherently fragile", difficult to work on, and expensive to maintain. I said nothing about the vehicle being built weak. Having worked on (and cussed at) many FWD vehicles, I can say that the drivetrain is usually not built to withstand any kind of abuse beyond normal grocery-getting. And when something breaks, the parts may not be as expensive as they used to be, but the labor will burn you a new one. Give me RWD any day of the week. It's a better drivetrain any way you look at it.

K, well it's an opinion. And I don't think RWD is the best (but still preferable to FWD if we could get the MPG up which is a whole different argument), I'd go AWD or selectable 4WD first. :D

I don't really want to now get into nitpicking words, like pointing out a serpentine belt to erin when we knew what erin was talking about, or saying vehicle vs. transmission with reference to my post. The transmission is part of the vehicle, the point I was trying to make was that I don't think anyone builds an inherently weak vehicle, with the transmission being part of said vehicle. :)

I'll leave it at I'm waiting to judge the thing until after it actually hits the road. Ford builds great product, I want to see what they've got.

Maybe I will take a look today.

The local dealer here has 2 white XLTs sitting out front

I do hope Ford does come out with a small off road SUV (the size of the Explorer Sport) someday similar to the Jeep Wrangler, just built to where it doesn't fall apart when you look at it. The problem is is that I want an SUV built by Ford that can off road, and currently no such thing exists, yet Toyota (4Runner, even though it's quite big) and Nissan (Xterra) seem to have no problem making them even though they won't/don't sell as well. I'm not getting my hopes up, but we'll see...

The problem is is that I want an SUV built by Ford that can off road, and currently no such thing exists, yet Toyota (4Runner, even though it's quite big) and Nissan (Xterra) seem to have no problem making them even though they won't/don't sell as well. I'm not getting my hopes up, but we'll see...
If you are comparing the 4Runner's size to the 2010 Explorer, the Runner is 3.5" shorter, 2.7" lower in height but has 1.4" more ground clearance. It does have almost 7 cu ft more cargo room behind the front seats. This was comparing the Canadian models of both vehicles.

If you are comparing the 4Runner's size to the 2010 Explorer, the Runner is 3.5" shorter, 2.7" lower in height but has 1.4" more ground clearance. It does have almost 7 cu ft more cargo room behind the front seats. This was comparing the Canadian models of both vehicles.

I wasn't comparing it to the 2010 Explorer, but the 4Runner is wider than it, which is pretty important off roading, and the Trail edition is taller. It is shorter, though, which surprised me. But either way I think something around the size of the earlier Explorer Sports would be good.

The Dealer near us (Galpin-Biggest Ford Dealer) has 28 of them;) 29-45k

My dealer has one:D

0102011546.jpg

When I head to my cousins, the dealer there leaves all the new vechicle unlocked 24/7, I'll get some interior shots then;)

My dealer has one:D

0102011546.jpg

When I head to my cousins, the dealer there leaves all the new vechicle unlocked 24/7, I'll get some interior shots then;)

Move the Explorer, and take that Snake for a ride then! :p:

Move the Explorer, and take the one behind it for a ride then! :p:

Yeah, driving an '11 PP GT500 would be a blast! A friend has an '07 GT500 with a few light mods and it moved nicely:D Only has about 600 miles on it though(he bought it as an investment, total garage queen :banghead:)

Moderator time here folks. This is going into all threads on the '11 Explorer.

I know there are those of you out there that do not like the new Explorer. I'm fine with that and you are entitled to your opinion. HOWEVER I am tired of people bashing the '11 without ever driving one, sitting in one, or in some cases seeing one. If you have experience with one and don't like a feature or how it drives or how it failed you somehow, please post up about it. I've already found stuff I don't like and posted up about it, and I'm sure that there are other features/items that I will find that I don't like either.

If you don't like the fact that Ford called this an Explorer and you feel that the name is tarnished, don't whine here, it won't do any good. You'll just piss people off. Sent a note to Ford and complain to them. If enough people don't like the re-design and tell Ford, maybe they will take that into consideration.

If anyone persists in continued bashing or sniping (as in any other forum on the site), you will become eligible for a vacation from the site of an undetermined length.

Please do not respond to this post saying F-You or Thank You...That's not why it's here. Just read it and continue on.

Thank You.

On Edit..a healthy debate is always welcome on here. Please do not take it as different opinions are not allowed. It's the bashing that needs to stop.

Back