Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have... | Page 6 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have...

tclark228

Reaction score
City, State
Gulf Coast, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer EB
I have a 2005 EB 4.0 V6. Has all of the same symptoms but of course it isn't V8. power is getting to low pressure switch but compressor is not turning on. When I jump compressor off from batter it reads 15 on ac pressure gauge so it seems like this should be enough freon. I believe it is coming from problem with wiring between junction box and AC control module. Anyone know how to check the relay socket correctly? Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Pontisteve

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Eddie Bauer 4WD V8
I only have a 2003 EVTM manual, not an 05. And I can only assume an Eddie Bauer has the dual zone EATC climate control. But based on that limited info...

The AC clutch is grounded all the time, at G101 (left inner fender, somewhere near the front of the wheel well and up towards the hood). It gets power from the A/C clutch relay. When the relay is turned on, power from fuse F2.10 (central junction box, hot in start or run) travels through the AC clutch relay, thru a joint connector (for the A/C indicator diode), and to the AC clutch.

If you don't have 12v at the AC clutch, it's because the AC relay isn't getting powered up, or the fuse F2.10 (10 amp) is blown.

The relay's control side is powered up by fuse F1.37 (15 amp, located in battery junction box). Power runs from fuse F1.37 to the AC clutch relay (pin #1 ). So the control power is always hot when the key is on.

The relay's control side ground comes from the PCM sending a ground to the relay. The PCM has two inputs that it uses to decide whether or not to ground the AC relay. The first is the A/C clutch cycling pressure switch, and the second is the A/C high pressure switch. The high side switch needs to be at or below 260 PSI.

Both of these switch inputs are grounded all the time, and are normally closed. This means they always send ground to the PCM. Better said, the PCM sends 5v through a resistor to the switch. The switch grounds the wire, pulling the 5v down to ground through the resistor. When the PCM sees that the voltage on these inputs is 0 and not 5, it knows the switches are remaining ok (closed). The PCM then grounds the A/C clutch relay.

Check pin 2 on the AC clutch relay. That's the control side ground. Use a test light hooked to battery positive. If the PCM is grounding the switch, then your test light will light. If it doesn't light, then the PCM is either bad or it's not getting a ground on either pin 30 or pin 47 (the two AC switch inputs).

Hopefully your 05 is the same as the 03 I looked up.

<

iivydriff

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Just put a new compressor on my wifes late 2002 mountaineer. Everything says its a 2003 but manufactured date was sept 2002. Compressor was locked up and someone rerouted the belt and added a pully and was running without the compressor in the belt loop. Anyhow i wanted to get the wife some air so I put a new compressor on. Added the right pully back on and put new belt on it. Charged up the system and no power to the A/c Plug. I checked everything couldnt figure out why didnt have power. I just cut the wires going to the plug and wired in two wires one to a switched spot in the fuse box and ran them to a toggle switch in teh dash. She has air now, but ill just bet the wire harness is cut at this spot by the oil filter and that is why i had no power. My temporary fix has worked great, but I intended on trying to get it fixed right. Because if I ever get a leak and low on freon and she kicks that compressor on it will smoke a compressor.

<

FordNashMan

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Could starter be effected?

Hi guys, new to the forum and late to this thread but appreciate it very much. I have an 03 Eddie Baur 4.6 and had a couple issues with the starter not engaging. It's a new OEM starter with about 2k on it. I went out early in the AM and got the click of despair. After about 40 turn overs it fired right up. Only happened one other time about 3 weeks ago. I looked at the harness described here and lo and behold I'm down to the copper. Could this possibly be my problem?

<

bookbinder

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited
Having just repaired my harness on my EX, and it exhibiting the same symptoms yours has, I would venture to say that yes this is your problem. Fairly simple to fix but I removed the tire and wheel seemed to make access a little easier. While there check your oil filter adaptor for any signs of oil leakage. Worth your trouble to inspect it while in there. Good luck to you and WELCOME.

<

FordNashMan

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Having just repaired my harness on my EX, and it exhibiting the same symptoms yours has, I would venture to say that yes this is your problem. Fairly simple to fix but I removed the tire and wheel seemed to make access a little easier. While there check your oil filter adaptor for any signs of oil leakage. Worth your trouble to inspect it while in there. Good luck to you and WELCOME.

Thanks. I'm going to do this tonight as I am leaving for a trip tomorrow. I'll post my results. Also trying to figure out why my Advancetrac light keeps going off all of a sudden. I think I blew a seal where my cv half shaft goes into the transaxle. I'm leaking from there and my cv boot is broken. Hours of fun ahead of me.

<

<