Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have...

Thanks for posting this. I replaced the upper control arms and lower ball joints on my wife's Explorer today and while there, had a look. Just as you described. Luckily, it hadn't sawed through the wire yet, just into the jacket. I removed the spill ramp thing and trimmed off the offending corner using tin snips. I cut it back far enough that there should no longer be any issue. Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks to the OP

2003 4.6 Limited 118k on it. I have lurked for a while and have used alot of good information from this site, thanks to all the posters. My check engine light went on the other day, code P0405 ( EGR Flow Sensor A circuit low input) anyways I search and found the thread about the DPFE sensor- replaced that and I was all set. I also Notice this sticky about the A/C & starter wire chafe. Went under my car this morning and sure enough mine was chafed thru to the starter wire, but no copper visible. My fix was to cut a 5 inch piece of 1" I.D reinforced vinyl hose. I slit the hose lengthwise to make it like a piece of split-loom. Then I placed the 5” hose over the original wire harness and tie-wrapped it together. I also tie-wrapped the hose to the metal bracket, so the hose can't slide.

Glad I found it now. Thanks again to Matt in AK (KC10CHIEF)

I had same problem, didn't have time to work on it myself so I got soaked at the "Stealership" $155.00 for a glorified butt splice probably ! LOL

Just had a look at mine. It's worn through the spiral wrap, but the wires are still intact. I'll beef it up next oil change. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for posting this. Just noticed mine was wearing through the jacket when I was looking at the small oil leak from the oil filter/coolant hose gasket. I protected it with a piece of plastic from the handle of a detergent bottle; will trim the oil-catcher back when I do the leaking gasket.

Im glad its working out for everyone..... should have been a recall.. be sure to have your rear axel seals looked at to.. Pain in the butt to do ..and about 250$ to have it done but not good if they dry up..my eddie bauer is killing me but i like the truck.

Been lurking on this forum for awhile. Now i know why my A/C might have quit last September. Time to crawl under. Thanks!!!

quickly looked at my 04, and I see them wires you are talking about, but mine are not near the oil drain plastic piece.

Same with my '04, its about 1-2" away from the drip shield

Hummmm.. . .

Wow. I'd imagine that every 2002-2005 Explorer with the 4.6 is having this issue or is going to have it. Glad I could help!

I just joined because my 03 has the same problem.
Looked under just now (3 am) yup broke wires.
Just wanted to say thanks for the post you saved me from spending
1300 bucks to have my ac "replaced"

Great info. Pictures are always worth a thousand words! I will be checking mine this weekend. My a/c was acting up last summer and this may just be the reason. The starter has been acting up recently....may have something to do with that also????

Yea thanks for the info and pics I took a look at mine, while replacing a balljoint. Looked just like your pics mines worn through I can see lots of copper :(. Oh well I guess I have something else to fix.

Thanks again for the great write up!

my 02 117,000 would not start. lucky for me, free tow and a good mechanic $60.00. need to call and see if he replaced the A/C wiring as well. Great post thanks chief

Jeff
02 Explorer EB 117,000

Palin3

Thank You so very much for the info you have provided. I too, lost my A/C and @ Ford Dealers I went to told me two different scenarios. The first one said they couldn't find it. Even though they put it through a diagnostic test, since it was working on and off they couldn't find the problem.
When it did finally stop again, I went to a different Ford dealer and they told me I needed PCM board then would have to program at an additional cost.
We were looking at $1500 cost for the board plus labor. Talk about being raked over the coals.
Your post led me to look at it again and went to an Auto Tech place here in Florida where I gave them some info on what to look for. Wouldn't you know it, the problem was a broken wire and they rewired and my A/C is working fine, and for a much lower price, not even close to what they had suggested at the Ford dealer.

Thanks Again,

Paul

Great post and photos! I'll be checking my wires when I change the oil next weekend.

That's funny. I had the A/C go out. I have been slacking at checking this site out lately. Had mine replaced at the end of last summer. They said it was the wire harness. Cost me 85 bucks. I'll have to get back into the game. Thanks for the info.

Sure enough! Mine has it too. Ate thru the AC wire pretty good, and chewed into the starter wire some. Copper showing. I wonder if this could be my mysterious battery dying intermittently problem! If the AC compressor clutch wire ends up touching the battery cable all the time, that would run down the battery!

I also have on rare occasion noticed the truck doesn't seem like it starts when I first hit the key. I think this might be because the starter solenoid wire is also in that harness. We'll see soon!

Hi all,

question was previously asked but I haven't seen an answer yet - is this likely to be a 4.0 problem also, as well as 4.6 models?

(interested as I have the 4.0!) :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a 4.6 problem due to the wiring near the oil filter drain shield. The 4.0 engine has the oil filter at the bottom of the passenger side of the motor, and I can't see how this would apply to a 4.0.

Back