Have a Question about the Wiring behind the Stock 1994 XLT Head Unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have a Question about the Wiring behind the Stock 1994 XLT Head Unit

OVERKILL700HP

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT Auto 4x4
I have the stock cassette head unit.
I went to install an aftermarket HU and I found out that I cannot use both wiring harness connectors that I bought so I could hook up to the stock wiring harness.
Behind the stock HU, there's 1 90 degree black plug and 1 wiring harness connector. I was under the impression that I have to do use both electrical connectors.

My question is how do I hook up an aftermarket HU if there's only 1 wiring harness connector?
All help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to run an amp bypass kit to bypass the factory amp. With that you should be able to wire it up.

there SHOULD be two. the 90 degree grey plug has all your power wires and the black, square plug has all of your speaker wires. you need a wire harness adapter for teh "premium" ford radio, its a common one for many 91ish-97ish fords. its the same as the 95-00 ford contour if that helps.

the kit will come with 3 cables......one with the grey rect connector, one wit hthe black square one, and another one that has connectors on both ends (amp bypass). everything in the first 2 should be color coded and just plug and play. dont forget the blue wire.

I just ordered the kit from Crutchfield.
$25.98 shipped.
Thanks guys.

shouldve gone to walmart......9.99.

Originally posted by udmsvt
shouldve gone to walmart......9.99.

I did a search on the bypass kit and most people were recommending to get it from Crutchfield.

oh, crutchfield has soem of the best stuff but i have 0 patience.

I used the crutchfield kit and it was very good. the best part? the copious instructions.

Back