• Register Today It's free!

Have to slam to close door?

ornithology

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 X Sport2dr 4.0 V6 XLT
Is there any way to modify the door so you don't have to slam it so hard to get it to close? I noticed that when I lay my hand flat against the window sill area to push the door close it will help and reduce the *slam* sound to a softer *click*, but when I push the door near the handle to close it usually ends up not closed all the way or result in a louder *smack*. Will lubrication help or is something getting worn out that is stopping the door from grasping easily? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might want to check to see if there is any slop in the door hinges. I had to replace them on my drivers door because it stared to not close/latch/lock properly. If they are ok, it never hurts to lube up the latches every once and awhile.

Thanks Kert!
What is slop? What sort of lube and where should I lube?

WD-40 or something like that on it couldn't hurt.

Sounds like the door isn't aligned quite right, my door closes the same way after it was...tweaked up.. My bet is that the hinges are loose/worn. If you look at the gaps between the door and the body, does it appear straight/aligned same as other door?

If you loosen the catch part on the door frame just slightly- then shut the door it will align itself- then tighten it being careful not to move it as you do!
Works every time provided you loosen just very slightly at first.

Look in the door jam on the latch. It sounds like the plastic on it is wore out or gone. It's about $3 at a discount store. You need a torques bit but one of your allen wrenches might get it.;)

Back