• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Adjuster

JSRdeere

Reaction score
City, State
Glenwood, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 limited
My 2013 Explorer limited adjuster bolts for the headlights broke, the adjuster turns but nothing happens. Took the adjuster apart and found the plastic "bolt" that is supposed to turn is broke in two. I searched high and low for a replacement adjuster but as of yet I am unable to find the adjuster assembly anywhere. I ordered aftermarket headlight assemblies and installed but not happy with them, they do not want to align correctly. I still have the OEM ones and would love to repair the adjuster if anyone knows where they can be found and purchased.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not familiar with the adjustment assembly but did find this. I don't see anything shown as an adjuster bolt.
Levittown is a forum vendor and offers members a discount on parts. Benny is very helpful as well.

Peter

My 2013 Explorer limited adjuster bolts for the headlights broke, the adjuster turns but nothing happens. Took the adjuster apart and found the plastic "bolt" that is supposed to turn is broke in two. I searched high and low for a replacement adjuster but as of yet I am unable to find the adjuster assembly anywhere. I ordered aftermarket headlight assemblies and installed but not happy with them, they do not want to align correctly. I still have the OEM ones and would love to repair the adjuster if anyone knows where they can be found and purchased.
Unfortunately they don't appear to be sold separately that I could find. I ended up buying a piece of nylon threaded rod and epoxying it to the broken off part right at the swivel ball (at least on ours the threaded rod had to be threaded all the wall to the ball to not interfere with the adjuster sleeve when adjusted to the right height) but I couldn't find the correct metric thread so I also had to drill out the plastic nut on the adjuster, cut off the end of it and replace it with a nut to match the rod I used. IIRC I used 1/4" as it was close, I think the rod is a metric diameter with an unusual thread pitch. You can either bake the housings apart (hard) or cut a small window over the adjuster and use needlenose pliers or similar to twist the retainer and pop it out, when broken you should be able to get it out the side, separate them, reinstall the retainer and then once you repair the threaded rod portion you stick it through the back until it pops into the ball socket.

Back