• Register Today It's free!

Headlight assembly question

Casper250c

Reaction score
City, State
ORCHARD PARK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT
So I'm not sure if this has been asked here I have been searching and didn't find anything about.

My 2015 XLT, does it have projector headlight assemblies or reflector? It has halogen bulbs which I replaced because I was not satisfied with the light output and even with new bulbs (Sylvania silver star ultras) I'm still not satisfied.

The reason I ask is because I was wondering if I could replace the halogen bulbs with either LED or HID for better light output without replacing the assemblies themselves.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated I do most of my driving at night on dark roads without streetlights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d add additional lights before going the HID/LED route. For those to be legitimate they need housings specifically made for them.

M
I’d add additional lights before going the HID/LED route. For those to be legitimate they need housings specifically made for them.
Add additional lights?. I could be wrong but I had read somewhere that you could put HID bulbs in halogen projector headlight assemblies but I don't know if anyone tried it yet on an explorer

This is a projector headlight assembly right? I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful I genuinely don't know 😆
20211225_212221.jpg

M

Add additional lights?. I could be wrong but I had read somewhere that you could put HID bulbs in halogen projector headlight assemblies but I don't know if anyone tried it yet on an explorer
Many members have replaced the halogen bulbs with HID but as Mbrooks420 mentioned, the housings are not designed for that bulb even though there is an improvement in light output. HID bulbs have housings specifically designed for them. Many have installed HID kits which technically are not road legal. This was also confirmed by one of the big suppliers of the kits.
This is the correct path; HID Install +Pics - Step by Step
The beginning of the thread shows the way many others have done it which is less expensive but not the proper way to go.
BTW, there are many threads here on this topic.

Peter

Many members have replaced the halogen bulbs with HID but as Mbrooks420 mentioned, the housings are not designed for that bulb even though there is an improvement in light output. HID bulbs have housings specifically designed for them. Many have installed HID kits which technically are not road legal. This was also confirmed by one of the big suppliers of the kits.
This is the correct path; HID Install +Pics - Step by Step
The beginning of the thread shows the way many others have done it which is less expensive but not the proper way to go.
BTW, there are many threads here on this topic.

Peter
Sorry Peter my original post was whether I had projector assembly or reflector which I after looking at my own pic was answered by myself

You can possibly do a VIN features lookup to see how the vehicle is equipped.

The halogen headlights on the '11-15s are projectors. Some take H7 bulbs others like mine take a 9005 bulb. I don't know why the two different halogen setups or if there is a difference in useable light output between them. 9005 is generally used for high beams, but yes I was one of the a*holes that went the LED route because the light output with these housings is terrible. As long as you get a quality led or hid kit the lighting element should line up with the filament on the halogen bulb and the hot spots/light scatter should stay minimal. I went with the seabright led kit from amazon and have had them in for over a year. Still wish they were a little brighter, but still made a nice difference in the useable light. No bulb out warnings with them and they aren't anymore blinding than factory hids.

In contrast my '12 Fusion I have no issues seeing at night with the factory halogen projectors.

The halogen headlights on the '11-15s are projectors. Some take H7 bulbs others like mine take a 9005 bulb. I don't know why the two different halogen setups or if there is a difference in useable light output between them. 9005 is generally used for high beams, but yes I was one of the a*holes that went the LED route because the light output with these housings is terrible. As long as you get a quality led or hid kit the lighting element should line up with the filament on the halogen bulb and the hot spots/light scatter should stay minimal. I went with the seabright led kit from amazon and have had them in for over a year. Still wish they were a little brighter, but still made a nice difference in the useable light. No bulb out warnings with them and they aren't anymore blinding than factory hids.

In contrast my '12 Fusion I have no issues seeing at night with the factory halogen projectors.
Which kit was it exactly? Do you remember

This is the one I purchased. I believe there are other ones that are brighter, but it serves my purpose.
Amazon product ASIN B079KB8J98
I am looking to upgrade the fogs next or at least see if theres a way to adjust them up slightly. IMO they shine on the road too close to the front of the vehicle to be of any use. I think Ford put them down too low in the bumper for this size vehicle. If you notice the 16-19's have them moved up in the bumper

This is the one I purchased. I believe there are other ones that are brighter, but it serves my purpose.
I am looking to upgrade the fogs next or at least see if theres a way to adjust them up slightly. IMO they shine on the road too close to the front of the vehicle to be of any use. I think Ford put them down too low in the bumper for this size vehicle. If you notice the 16-19's have them moved up in the bumper
I upgraded my headlights to the same ones as you, but also did my fogs as well. Light output is much improved and I adjusted my fog lights up while I was at it. I replaced the entire fog light housing because mine had some bad sandblasting from years of road wear. There is a screw on them to adjust the height of the beam and with LED bulbs, the fog lights become usable. Also, worth noting due to earlier responses, I adjusted my beam cutoff and never get high beamed from blinded oncoming drivers. This was a concern of mine when doing the swap, but it has not been an issue.

Thank you,I had actually ordered that same set along with fogs last night they'll be at my house Tuesday

1st is just lows, 2nd is lows with fogs, 3rd is highs, and 4th is the difference between the led and the halogens. The halogens we're silvana ultras which were 4 months old

20220103_200448.jpg 20220103_200439.jpg 20220103_200433.jpg 20220103_190038.jpg

Back