Headlight Switch Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Switch Swap

JunkyardEx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Xlt
So I’ve done some mods to my explorer, originally it did not come with puddle lights on the mirrors but the passenger side mirror was busted and so I went to the junk yard and replaced it unknowingly installing one with the puddle lamp and it worked! I went ahead and did the driver side too and put in led bulbs and looks great!

My problem is that I decided to replace my original headlamp switch to another switch that has the fog light option built in. (My explorer doesnt have fog lights unfortunately I can’t add those bc the wiring is not existing under the hood but the wiring is there for the switch...) I noticed after doing this my puddle lamps and interior lamps no longer come on when I unlock my car or leave my car. Is it possible by adding the different switch I have to add a relay or fuse for the fog lamps and or autolamp function for it to work again? I want to keep the new switch so I’m the future I can wire a light bar into the fog light option in the switch and possibly add a auto lamp sensor so that feature will work as well.

I am in similar situation as you. My Mountaineer has the puddle lights however my headlight switch features the auto light feature. When I used the auto setting I could not engage the fog lights so I would have to manually turn the switch and pull out at the same time to have fog lights come on. I swapped the original for one from a same year Explorer which allowed fog lights in the auto setting. The drawback I now have is that none of my interior lights come on when the dimmer switch is an a normal lighting level. However if I place the dimmer switch in the “off” setting the interior lights all come on. Kind of a PITA.... maybe try fiddling with the dimmer switch...

There’s a module in the passenger rear that is connected to the headlight switch.

Maybe tied together. Never investigated it, but when I unplugged my headlight switch while it was hot, said module made a noise.

Back