Headlight/Taillight covers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight/Taillight covers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe those are meant more for shows, I don't think the light shines through. If you want your lenses smoked, buy some of that tint spray on eBay, It's not as dark as those but is still dark and lets the light through.

i have smoked tail light covers for my truck, i like the look, but it makes backing up in the dark alittle harder but its tolerible (sp?). they are ilegall, but i have only been pulled over for them once and they didnt even do anything about it.

Well I didn't smoke my clear reverse lens, so it still shines blue (I have blue lights BTW). I haven't been pulled over, and don't care how legal it is, it looks cool and you can see when I'm braking if you're looking at me, just as any other vehicle.

smoked headlight/taillight covers aren't as bad as you might think by just looking at them. although, i know people who have headlight covers that take them off at night because it is a noticable difference. i've got taillight covers and the one time i got pulled over with them on (not the covers, for plate light being out) the officer didn't say anything about them. explorer taillights are bright to begin with so it doesn't make much of a difference if you have covers on.

A buddy of mine has headlight covers on his Dodge, and can't see a thing at night.

Hey Y3K. I have a 2002 X and I have both headlight and taillight covers. I also have all my windows limo tinted so I think it just goes perfect with the black head and tail lights. Regarding your question... vision with only the headlight is horrible. With my headlights on u see nothing. Luckily, I have the factory fogs on, which add a great deal of light to the road. If you also have the fogs, dont worry about visibility... ull be fine, but if you don't, i don't recomend getting them or at least buy aftermarket fogs. I also have piaa lamps which I am going to install in my tow hook spaces in the bottom of the front bumper this weekend. I'll have pictures of the headlight covers and taillight covers and foglights as well as the visibility with each on my website this weekend after i wash the X. Other then that though, I think the look is really good, and you can find them for about 30 bux on ebay, if you want, I can let you know the seller in ebay, hes quick and has good products. Good luck deciding.

hey gordonma, I really like what you did to your ride, looks really sweet. about those covers; i decided to either get teh spray tints or the tail-light covers (no headlights). the tint spray costs about 10 bucks but its much harder to remove. Prolly gona go with the covers. gona go look on ebay for sellers. thx to all for the help!

i have the egr styleeyes with the euro looking clear circles in the cover and i have no problem with vision at night. i think thy look better than the all
blackout look anyway.

I had smoked headlight covers on my Ranger and could see all right at night. I didn't have a problem with it but the cops do have a problem with it. Funny though, the only time I got pulled over for it was during the day (the only time they could see it) when it didn't matter whether they were covered or not since it was day time. :rolleyes:

I finally got pictures of the Blackouts online at my site. Check them out. I think the headlight covers really make your car stand out.

I was told today that in PA, you can't have covers on your head/tail lights... against the law (mine are smoked).
I thought as long as you can see the blinker through them, it wouldn't be an issue... this too was during the day.
:p

Originally posted by ShadowA2J
A buddy of mine has headlight covers on his Dodge, and can't see a thing at night.

This is very true. If you're going to used them you must have a strong secondary light to help you see at night. As for the back, well, I guess it doesn't matter. I actually like people having that on their tail lights so I don't get blinded at night, especially those damn Hondas/Acuras.

Back