Headlight/Wiper/Defrost/Fog LED conversion | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight/Wiper/Defrost/Fog LED conversion

I really would like to thank all of you for giving so much detailed info for this project ... I am currently working on the lights for the headlight switch ... almost a year ago I did the lights around the radio housing - AWESOME JOB ... My story goes: I had to take my truck thru emissions and it didn't pass due to a blown lamp at the "check engine" indicator so I had to tear down the dash for the speedo cluster and since I'm in there WHY NOT replace the lamps at the headlamp switch ... so I chose this beautiful weekend in maryland to do it ... I promise to take some pix and show you what you all helped me do

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help?

First off, thank you for this great write up. I have used many write-ups off this site for my explorer. I am having a bit if trouble on this one however. I have the LED lights installed with resistors and wires coming off the negative and positive leads. I stripped a little bit of the positive wire going into the harness for the defroster and attached the positive wire coming from my positive lead of the LED. I then attached the negative wire coming off my negative lead of the LED to metal in the car and attempted to get the lights to turn on with no luck. Is there an easier way to do this or am I just not using the right wire in the harness. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a ton guys.

just make sure you have your + and - right. LEDs wont turn on if its backwards. Maybe even take it out and try it directly on the + and - on the battery posts to make sure your soldering made a good connection and it works.

Also, a word for anyone trying this in the future, I always test to make sure its all working before I install it.. It saves a lot of headache in the end!

just make sure you have your + and - right. LEDs wont turn on if its backwards. Maybe even take it out and try it directly on the + and - on the battery posts to make sure your soldering made a good connection and it works.

Also, a word for anyone trying this in the future, I always test to make sure its all working before I install it.. It saves a lot of headache in the end!

I tested it using two double A batteries before attempting an install and the LEDs illuminated correctly. It's when I try to actually run it off the car's harness wiring that I see nothing. Confusing.

did you get the right resistor? Because two AA batteries are not 12v, and your vehicle uses 12v.. Have you tried connecting it directly on the two battery posts?

OR You could possibly be using the wrong wire. How did you determine which one to use?

Wow...

So i finally figured out my problem. I was testing the lights out in the middle of the day with my lights turned off (wow do i feel like an idiot...). Again thank you all a ton, this post has helped so much. I'll post pictures in the next few days so everyone can get a look. I did the cluster as well, which as everyone said was a total pita. I do have one question, when doing the cluster lights I have seen a lot of posts that state that the 2000 Ford Explorers have a green film on the clusters that you can scrape off if you don't want a green tint. Where exactly is this film, i can't seem to find it. Thanks guys!

So this might be a dumb question but where did you attach the wires for each LED on the rear wiper, rear defrost, and fog light?

:D:D
actually you will not hack up you switches at all unless you are a complete knob. here is the led conversion outcome i did the defrost but it was done after these pics. i know they are not the best i will work on it....
DSCI0155.jpg

I'm thinking on taking the easy way and hit the junk yards for some switches hoping they still light up

Back