• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs)

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Its pronounced (Priz-biz)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Sorry for the bump but i got a question...

How come in your pictures the negative wires are wrapped around the positive wires? Wont that set off sparks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

bill32399

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
15' Explorer PIU
I'm not making a plug here but I have been ordering my LED automotive bulbs from www.ledtronics.com for years. they seem to have a replacement for everything. There a little pricey but quality for sure.

MustangP51

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Limited V8
Sorry for the bump but i got a question...

How come in your pictures the negative wires are wrapped around the positive wires? Wont that set off sparks?
Where do you see that? The positive and Negative leads are on opposite sides of the board, then never come in contact with each other, because yes that would cause a short.

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Where do you see that? The positive and Negative leads are on opposite sides of the board, then never come in contact with each other, because yes that would cause a short.
It appeared that the negative and positive wires were touching, but it was just an illusion. Ugh im blind lol

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
ok so i have a question hopefully someone can help me out. i just finished putting blue leds in all the switches and they worked out great took almost no time at all. so i started the front dome light and well it dont work. my wiring seems to be alittle different if i remember correctly there is no colored wires only black. and also how do the lights work with the lamp button?
hope this makes sense
Thanks
Danny

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
ok so i have a question hopefully someone can help me out. i just finished putting blue leds in all the switches and they worked out great took almost no time at all. so i started the front dome light and well it dont work. my wiring seems to be alittle different if i remember correctly there is no colored wires only black. and also how do the lights work with the lamp button?
hope this makes sense
Thanks
Danny
I'm not quite sure what youre talking about with the lamp button thing, but for your dome lights you might need to test your wires with a meter to see which one is positive and which is negative.

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
thanks for the reply i guess that i didnt word that to good. but i just pulled out the lights and looks like one of the leds is blown so i think that may be the problem. i had the + and - correct i think, so im gonna just start over. and the lamp button i am refering to is the two buttons that say lamp on either side of the mode button.
Thanks
Danny

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
If the resistor came undone from the LED the light would be blown. Putting a new LED in it would most definately be a start to fix it. If you want, you can just pull the LED and test it with a 9 volt battery, but make sure you have a resistor on there or it will blow.

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
ok so i just tested the leds and they work so maybe i did get the + and - wrong gonna try it after work
thanks
Danny
ok so i couldnt wait i just tested it with the + and - on both leads and i get nothing. ahhhh wtf does the key have to be on or something and the fuse looks good what could i be missing

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Key might have to be on because of some safety feature. My lights turn off on the inside if I accidently leave them on so it doesnt drain the battery.

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
thanks again for the reply
so i tried with the key on and still nothing im getting power to the compass and temp display but not lights. does the front dome light come on when you open the doors or is it just the middle dome that comes on with the door open?
thanks
Danny

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
What year is your explorer? all of mine on my 96 turn on when i open the doors.

Check the fuses

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
its a 95. all of the fuses look good at least the ones in the dash are there any more somewhere else like some kinda relay? also i had a problem with the door ajar light staying on it was the liftgate sensor so i just unplugged it could that be the problem? the door ajar light dose still work when i open the other doors. thanks again for the help
Danny

msantoro51@aol.c

Reaction score
City, State
Sicklerville
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
I must say does look awesome if i would i deff try seeing if i could get u to make me some bc i have no clue how to do that lol

MustangP51

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Limited V8
I must say does look awesome if i would i deff try seeing if i could get u to make me some bc i have no clue how to do that lol
Why not give it a try yourself? It it alot easier than you would think. This is a very good starter project, and all the parts are cheap so if you do mess up its not a big deal.

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
its a 95. all of the fuses look good at least the ones in the dash are there any more somewhere else like some kinda relay? also i had a problem with the door ajar light staying on it was the liftgate sensor so i just unplugged it could that be the problem? the door ajar light dose still work when i open the other doors. thanks again for the help
Danny
Sorry for my super late reply, but there should be some more fuses under the hood. Those blew for me once and my inside lights wouldnt work but they did after i put a new fuse in

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Why not give it a try yourself? It it alot easier than you would think. This is a very good starter project, and all the parts are cheap so if you do mess up its not a big deal.
Agreed. This is a very starter project. I started with this project and the turnout is amazing! You will be very happy with your final work. Trust me, its worth the time and effort.

(Before this, i had no idea what a resistor was lol and now i got myself into a whole variety of LED lighting. Its really amazing what lights to do.)

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
Sorry for my super late reply, but there should be some more fuses under the hood. Those blew for me once and my inside lights wouldnt work but they did after i put a new fuse in
hey so thanks for the reply as im also abit late in reading this, work has been crazy...i cant seem to find any blown fuses in the dash or under the hood would they be in the same fuse box as the relays?
Thanks again
Danny

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
hey so thanks for the reply as im also abit late in reading this, work has been crazy...i cant seem to find any blown fuses in the dash or under the hood would they be in the same fuse box as the relays?
Thanks again
Danny
Yeah thats where some of the the fuses are (The ones that I was talking about). But if not, i guess you could just test the regular dome light again to make sure theres not a short in the wiring. Uhm, if not... There must be a problem with your wiring.

If you have a camera, take pictures and I'll try to help some more

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
hey ok so first thanks for the help..
second i can take pictures what would you need to see?
i've tried everything i think i have a bad wire somewhere? i did all the other led upgrades i.e. windows, locks and heat a/c no problems but im getting pissed at this one... :mad:
thanks again
Danny

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S interior aux LEDs and fixtures Performance Lighting 0
Paraphoe Interior lights bulb sizes Performance Lighting 6
C interior light issue Performance Lighting 3
willzilla 2nd GEN Overhead Interior LED Swap Performance Lighting 17
L interior LEDs REPOST Performance Lighting 2
L Interior LEDs Performance Lighting 2
N Interior Light Performance Lighting 1
C Help: LED interior lights kit Performance Lighting 0
4rd Xplora Interior Lights Stay On Performance Lighting 5
C 94 EB Interior lights only come on with front passenger and back door Performance Lighting 0
N My custom LED interior lighting Performance Lighting 10
Stic-o JP goes LED, Interior and Rock Lights Performance Lighting 35
E how to install LED interior light on 4th gen ford explorer. Performance Lighting 5
M Interior light replacement. Performance Lighting 2
Keeper0311 Another interior lighting issue. Performance Lighting 9
E Adding interior lighting Performance Lighting 1
F Interior light issues. Performance Lighting 5
S 08 Explorer Change Interior and Puddle Lights to LED Performance Lighting 1
N Interior shifter column lights not working 2006 eddie bauer Performance Lighting 3
L Interior lights are not turning on when I open the doors. Performance Lighting 12
R Adding a new circuit to the interior fuse panel? Performance Lighting 0
B Interior lighting issues Performance Lighting 4
T Replacing interior lights on an 02 Explorer Performance Lighting 3
F What should I do the the Interior Performance Lighting 6
T interior LEDs on 02 mounty Performance Lighting 7
S interior lights and dash Performance Lighting 3
E My interior lights stay on even after the engine is turned off. Performance Lighting 31
M How do I replace my interior light bulbs? Performance Lighting 1
N Full Interior LED Conversion Performance Lighting 31
S Interior lights in 2003 Explorer. Performance Lighting 3
soon2bsick interior stuff Performance Lighting 12
E LED interior light replacement help Performance Lighting 9
S interior neon/led lights Performance Lighting 0
B Just bought some LEDs for interior but have some questions Performance Lighting 1
T wiring from engine to interior? please help!! Performance Lighting 3
J 07 Trac Interior light swap - green to blue Performance Lighting 8
J 07' Trac - Interior lights/Green to Blue Performance Lighting 2
L Kill switch for Interior lights Performance Lighting 7
G Interior Lighting Wiring Schematic Performance Lighting 19
O interior lights Performance Lighting 10
9 pics of interior lighting Performance Lighting 4
storlied interior glow on with headlights? Performance Lighting 98
B HELP! What type of bulb do i need for interior??/ Performance Lighting 6
vroomzoomboom L.E.D. interior lighting Performance Lighting 2
Y time for change: interior lights Performance Lighting 1
Tbars4 How to: Interior lights on - Door Ajar Performance Lighting 103