• Register Today It's free!

Headliner replacement

slmdrngr

Reaction score
City, State
Monicello Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Ive been pondering the idea of replacing my headliner with Realtree apg, but was wondering if i could find it in a headliner material anywhere, no luck so far, found material but not foam backed, does anybody know where i can find it? Also was wondering if there is anywhere i can find just the headliner foam and if i could just glue the material to the foam? i would rather find the material foam backed, but would try this as a back up idea if you guys think it would work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:D thanks man, this helps alot, now i just gotta get all the materials, would it work if i get the foam, install in on the board, then attach the material on top of it? wanna get opinions before i try it

...You need a foam backed or similar, headliner material...

...The special glue for headliners will come thru any regular material and it would be a mess..:(

ahh...okay...that makes sense, well...maybe a black headliner it is, was wantin to go with realtree apg seat covers(wet okole) rubber flooring and realtree apg headliner, everything else is tan, but maybe a black headliner will look okay too, the tan everywhere drives me nuts

About how much material do you need for a 2 door explorer? and where is the cheapest place to get it?

I did a real tree headliner in my 97 ex! Came out awesome!! I just took the headliner out completely, bought a few yards of the fabric from Jo Ann's and 2 cans of spray adhesive. I then layed the fabrics onto the headliner, gilded it back, then started in the middle and worked my way the the ends.. Injust stuck it to the headliner that was already their and it has stuck great so far!! I've had it for a few months now and hasn't started to fall or anything! It took me about 2 1/2 hours to do. Was not hard at all!

532faa64.jpg

71ab0306.jpg

8dff954b.jpg

1e84049f.jpg

a371e36d.jpg

:eek: that is awesome! Where did you get that material, how much did it cost and how much did you need? That's exactly what ive been looking for. Been wanting to do this for a while but work schedule makes me not wanna mess with it lol.

Thanks I love it!! I'm gonna do part of the doors and the visors next!! And i recommend 2 yards and it will leave you with a little left over.. I got mine from joAnn fabric store.. I'm not sure in the cost my gf surprised me with it.. But I brleive it was about $2 a foot cause I've looked at it before.. I recommended using 2 cans of the spray adhesive

And it wasn't hard at all I did mine at like 7 pm after work... It only took about 1-2 hours

Awesome, is that a store local too you or is it online? I haven't had any luck finding any online, i'd do mine on a three day weekend cuz when I get off work I gotta be back 12 hours from when I get off lol

Yikes sounds like a good idea! Lol and ya just a local fabric store. So check to see if there is a local store near you! Or try goin to google or eBay and type in real tree fabric or something

Oh, dang, I was hoping you had found it online, I cant only find realtree material, but not headliner material. I cant find it anywhere. Anybody know anywhere else to look? Maybe im missing something :dunno:

i understand your want but did you ever think of just gluing traditional material to the top of the original headliner material

The material I used wasn't "headliner material" it was just regular fabric..

Back