Headunit update, old guy update | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headunit update, old guy update

Ok. I got the Nakamichi installed in Betty.

Highly impressed. Being able to adjust the subwoofer crossover frequency and level, combined with equalizer wakes the factory speakers up. No kidding, acceptable bass output from that factory sub back there, quite thumpy actually. I made my own 5 v regulator step down thingy for sub amp remote trigger.

The mach speakers are a lot brighter than the factory f150 speakers that's for sure. Got something coming for Larry now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. I got the Nakamichi installed in Betty.

Highly impressed. Being able to adjust the subwoofer crossover frequency and level, combined with equalizer wakes the factory speakers up. No kidding, acceptable bass output from that factory sub back there, quite thumpy actually. I made my own 5 v regulator step down thingy for sub amp remote trigger.

The mach speakers are a lot brighter than the factory f150 speakers that's for sure. Got something coming for Larry now
a set of kickers for the door speakers and some sound deadening really wake it up too. combine it w aftermarket HU and i imagine it really wakes up!

a set of kickers for the door speakers and some sound deadening really wake it up too. combine it w aftermarket HU and i imagine it really wakes up!
Larry is getting image dynamics speakers in front doors, 6.5 infinity's in rear doors. Image dynamics idq12 sub in the works.

So, I ride in my friends 2020 Silverado a lot.
His system cost about as much as the truck.

Grande utopias in all four doors, dual jl subs forget the number but they hit 16 hz with 4" voice coils, know because he sent truck to Tennessee to have system tuned. There is an amp for each speaker.

Anything I install is going to suck. But it'll be less painful.

The atoto has all these features as well just fyi old dudes
Subwoofer level and crossover controls as well as all the sound fields
Let’s see some pics of the nakamichi! Did you get a reverse camera?

The atoto has all these features as well just fyi old dudes
Subwoofer level and crossover controls as well as all the sound fields
Let’s see some pics of the nakamichi! Did you get a reverse camera?
Here it is in our 2003 f150, backup camera installed.
I did not discount the atato suggestion, but did get 2 of these , and a camera for pickup, for less $ than one Atoto hu alone.

IMG_20240414_173340136_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240412_164822392.jpg

And it has a cd player!! Well done
When we find something we like we tell the world!

Here it is in our 2003 f150, backup camera installed.
I did not discount the atato suggestion, but did get 2 of these , and a camera for pickup, for less $ than one Atoto hu alone.

View attachment 451574

View attachment 451575

Looks really good Jon.

Back in high school a friend had a great job working in a print shop and he was able to buy himself a new 1979 Z28. He ordered it with a stereo delete because he wanted to install a nice sound system himself. A magazine had a life size photo of the Nakamichi head unit he wanted so he cut it out and taped it to the dash. Unfortunately this was the time when US printing began it's decline and he lost his job. He never installed a stereo, at least until 1984 when I move to Arizona. :(

Thanks @Rick

Here it is installed in dirty girl. 2000 mountaineer

I suggest a double din frame kit of some type. Bezel needs cut back to roll in, top and bottom. I used 2 layers of vhb tape to secure metal mount sleeve to remaining bezel frame. Your results may vary
Sorry about the glare
IMG_20240417_092517263_HDR.jpg

Edit.
Music sure has changed. Acceptable sound quality is the norm.
After listening to a couple cds, now I feel a need for high quality file storage and playback. Is it even possible? I've heard flac and wav. Meh

Thanks @Rick

Here it is installed in dirty girl. 2000 mountaineer

I suggest a double din frame kit of some type. Bezel needs cut back to roll in, top and bottom. I used 2 layers of vhb tape to secure metal mount sleeve to remaining bezel frame. Your results may vary
Sorry about the glare
View attachment 451576

Edit.
Music sure has changed. Acceptable sound quality is the norm.
After listening to a couple cds, now I feel a need for high quality file storage and playback. Is it even possible? I've heard flac and wav. Meh
Looks pretty good in there. As for improving sound quality, door pods or decent deadening can go a long way.

I’d also consider a mid-bass or regular woofer so you’re no relying on just the sub to bridge the gap to the door speakers, plus the door speakers sound better if you keep the lowest tones out completely.

My stereo is at a standstill. I’m out of available power, and if I want any substantial amount more it’s a custom alternator $$$.

Back