heat/ac is loud/not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heat/ac is loud/not working

Mountaineer03

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Mountaineer
Hey guys, first post here, but ive been looking around for a while and fixed a few things on my car from searching. (found my keyless entry code ect). Anyways i have an 03 mountaineer that i just bought with 90k miles for 6K (really happy about that)

I did however find one problem with the car. When i turn the heat/ac knob to the "3" position it makes a light hum and when i turn it to the "4" position it makes a LOUD hum, loud enough to have to raise your voice to hear people. Is this a sign of the blower motor going out?

Also, the rear vents in the roof do not work whatsoever. I have tried all the combinatinos of controls in the front and back and theres no air coming out at all, the vents in the center console do work tho. Is there a fuse to the rear blower or is it all driven by the same one?

Ill try not to act like a noob, ive been in a few forums before so i know the deal

in my 04 I find the blower motor loud.
A while back I felt there wasnt enough air flow for the noise it was making.
Under warranty I brought it to the dealer.
Almost $800 later, I had good air flow, the blend door was not moving and they had to remove most of the dash to access it. $50 part, $750 labor.

Its still loud, but at least Im getting some of that cold AC to blow at my face.

wow that sucks... well i guess im not touching that if its gonna be 750 bucks in labor. Anyone have any ideas on why the rear vents in the roof dont work?

Back