heated seat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heated seat

Reaction score
City, State
canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 eddie bauer
seat on the driver side , the light goes on for a second and go off,passenger side work good all the time. sometime driver side goes on for a while but wont heat, fuse are good and relay in the engine compartment look good,check the harness connector look good .
what could it be wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a similar problem with my 2002 Explorer, Eddie Bauer . Only my passengeg seat will heat sometimes and then sometimes not but the indicator for the passenger side won't come on unless it will not heat. So sometimes I can get heat out of the passenger side and sometimes not. Any ideas on where and what my problem might be ?

Flydog

I would like to ressurect this forum. I am having the exact problem with my 2000 EB explorer. The light will come on and stay on for the drivers side BUT will not stay on for the passengers side.. Neither seat is heating. They worked last year for some time but this year nothing.

Did either of you figure out what the problem was or does anyone know what the fix is? I would like to get a handle on this but would like to gather any time saving experience I can. Thanks

Have any of you 3 guys taken a volt meter and checked to see if there is voltage at the connector going to the heaters in the seats?

I don't have heated seats in my XLT, but I do have a bachelors degree in electronics and have been doing IT work for 15 years. The first rule in Electronics trouble shooting - Is it plugged in? in other words does it have power. not saying that's what it is but it is a definite first step.

David

The reason I was asking for solutions is that I was hoping that it may have been something outside of the seat that was faulty. In my case, the seats have the side airbag onboard and all of the diagnostic manuals state to deactivate the side restraints and place an airbag simulator into the airbag module on the bottom of the seat.

If it was perchance something outside of the seat. I would have tried to fix it. If the internals are not working or the heating element was shorted I would probably have to take it to a dealer to have it repaired...

Similar symptoms with my '99 LTD w/170k.
The p.s. works fine; the d.s. light glows, and stays lit implying that the heat is on, however it never gets warm.
I did a search on this sometime back. I recall coming to the conclusion that the elements inside the seat(s) go bad over time & use.
I'm subscribing to this thread to see if any of you guys determine otherwise.
I sure would like a warm arse this winter!

heated seat relay!!!

looked at my 95' explorer/ranger service book there is a relay under the passenger air bag near the g.e.m,look in my ed.bauer 2000, there one to.simple relay of 30 amp replace it.will try it tomorrow morning
:D

I finally had a chance to poke around with it over the holidays. I tested the various connections and found that the "Always Hot" lead is not so hot. When I clip the meter on and turn the key, the voltage starts at .1V and quickly goes to 0. It bleeds over the same time frame that the LED will stay lit....I tested the connection at the fuse under the hood and power is good to there. Must be a short in the common "live" wire for both seats.

I didn't have time to look now but I think I at least know which circuit to trace.

Keep us posted......cold butts want to know!

I'd say your problem is either burnt out heating elements or this is what I'm leaning twards the weight sensor in the seat. You can test this / bypass this sensor by jumping the black/light blue and brown/light blue wire located on the bottom seat heating element plug. They are on the side the plastic pannel is on. There is also yellow/light blue and grey/light blue wires these are the power wires, They are slightly larger in diameter. Any more questions just ask.

I didn't realize that there was a weight sensor. In my '99 Limited, the passenger seat warms up without anybody in it.
Is there one in the driver's seat? I ask this, because usually weight sensors that enable/disable airbags are usually only on the passenger side...i.e. when would a driver not be sitting in the driver's seat?

attachment.php

I wired these into my 96.
I ran straight power positive 12v into the yellow/light blue comming from the bottom element and negative 12v into the purple/light blue coming from the seat back element. This will test you heating elements.
Here is a 99 Heated Seat Circuit diagram.
View attachment 36665
Sorry I couldn't get it to come out any better. Maybe try copping it to enlarge it.

I think running straight power is going to be my next test. Just to see if the seats will heat. I will fuse a direct line from a spare battery I have and see what happens. I figure the combination of direct power and perhaps switch bypass will tell me something.

The reason I still think it is outside of the seats is that they both stopped working at the same time. I will probably mess around with it over the weekend as the lows will be in the single digits this week and my motivation is increasing...Thanks for the input.

PS if you can get that diagram up in higher resolution it would be very helpful...I only have the schematic of the connector to work from right now.

PM me your email adress.

sorry to respond so late ,was not the relay the problem,still looking for it thanks for the wiring diagram

attachment.php

I wired these into my 96.
I ran straight power positive 12v into the yellow/light blue comming from the bottom element and negative 12v into the purple/light blue coming from the seat back element. This will test you heating elements.
Here is a 99 Heated Seat Circuit diagram.
View attachment 36665
Sorry I couldn't get it to come out any better. Maybe try copping it to enlarge it.

Just curious, how did you go about mounting those?

Back