Heated Seats

skidoomxz99

Reaction score
City, State
Leominster, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Hey Guys

I hope someone can help! I have an 02 EB X which the driver's side heated seat stopped working. I have my X at my cousin's shop and they pulled the seat and installed the new heated seat element today in the X. However, even the new element is not getting warm. Does anyone have any information or things to check since the seat is getting power but even the new heating element is not warming up? When you turn on the heated seat the heated seat icon does illuminate on the console (with the new element and the old one).

BTW, the passenger side heated seat works great. I did have the Ford Dealership replace a wiring harness last winter on the driver's door since the puddle lights and side mirror defroster had intermittent issues last winter. I thought I read one thread which discussed that this could be related??

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have spent alot of time searching on this topic. Nobody has had any problems with their heated seats?

just sent you an email, they look wired in series, maybe a ground?

Thanks JRFord! I appreciate it! If there was a bad ground would the heating element still be getting power (and console display heated seat on)?

I also have the same problem in my 02 LTD. No heat from the seat but the light does come on. I have been doing alot of searching and haven't found much info.

I did find a post about which wire controls the heat. And this is from memory......????? There is a yellow connector under the seat(looking from the back seat). If you apply 12v to the blue/yellow stripe and the black
wire and the seat heats up, then that would mean that the problem is not in the seat itself.

Also, the other day my buddy hooked the X up to the scan tool and in the part the monitors the seats, the scan tool said the seats were "off" when I actually turned them "on" and the light was on. When I turned them "off" from the seat,the light would go off,but the scan tool said they the heat was now "on"
doesn't make sense??

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this to help out a couple of cold rear-ends.

Thanks JRFord! I appreciate it! If there was a bad ground would the heating element still be getting power (and console display heated seat on)?

It might, as in the wiring there is a splice before the heaters one goes to the seat and the other goes to the EATC and that does show a ground. Check for 12V along the wires you should find one with Zero then that the break or failed heater, they look wired in Series.

OK for Passenger side wire colors, Cxxx are the connectors (Best i can do):

Driver:
Central Junction Box - VT/OG Acc 20a F2.11 20A C270A
VT/OG - Wire
Seat Heater Switch C320
YE/LB wire
Splice - (one to Seat Cus hion other to EATC)
YE/LB wire
Seat Cushion Heater C364a
GY/LB
Seat Back Heater C365a
BK
Ground (check for 12V)

Pass:
Central Junction Box - VT/OG Acc 20a F2.11 20A
Seat Heater Switch C321
YE/LB wire
Splice - (one to Seat Cus hion other to EATC)
YE/LB wire
Seat Cushion Heater C334a
GY/LB
Seat Back Heater C335a
BK
Ground

I had this issue when I got my 03 Mounty; made the stealership replace the heating element/grid under warranty. Now my butt stays nice and toasty :).

Not to steal this thread but I have the same problem with my 03 Eddie. I bought the truck this spring and the seat heaters worked great but never needed them. Now that the cold weather is here they are not working!! I get the little seat icon on the climate control panel but the lights on both seats on the on off switch does not light up. Is there a separate fuse for the seat heaters?

My drivers side heater is not working either on my 2004 Limited. The icon does not come on when I turn the seat on. Anything to check before taking it to the dealer...fuse?

Central Junction Box - VT/OG Acc Fuse 2.11 20A
There is a fuse - 20a powers both seats.
in the fuse box i have 5 row of fuses, its the longest bank or 2 bank from the top, middle of the bank 5 from the right or 6 from the left. . .
If the light comes on but no heat, you'll need to test and see where the voltage drops.
hopefully this helps.

Central Junction Box - VT/OG Acc Fuse 2.11 20A
There is a fuse - 20a powers both seats.
in the fuse box i have 5 row of fuses, its the longest bank or 2 bank from the top, middle of the bank 5 from the right or 6 from the left. . .
If the light comes on but no heat, you'll need to test and see where the voltage drops.
hopefully this helps.

I just pulled my owners manual and checked the fuse. The fuse is still good. You are right, it is on the long bank of fuses and is the only one in the middle with a 20 on it (in yellow).

Looks like I need to search around under the seat with my volt tester. My first thought was something came loose with all of the "kid stuff" rolling around that builds up back there. I was hoping for a loose plug but no luck.

Hope it is something simple. I love heated seats but if it is going to cost a fortune to fix looks lke I will have a cold butt this winter!!!

Hey Guys

I hope someone can help! I have an 02 EB X which the driver's side heated seat stopped working. I have my X at my cousin's shop and they pulled the seat and installed the new heated seat element today in the X. However, even the new element is not getting warm. Does anyone have any information or things to check since the seat is getting power but even the new heating element is not warming up? When you turn on the heated seat the heated seat icon does illuminate on the console (with the new element and the old one).

BTW, the passenger side heated seat works great. I did have the Ford Dealership replace a wiring harness last winter on the driver's door since the puddle lights and side mirror defroster had intermittent issues last winter. I thought I read one thread which discussed that this could be related??

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Mike

There are 3 resistance circuits in each seat. Two in the seat cushion element and one in the seat back element. I think all 3 have to be within specs for the system to work. Since you put a new element in the seat cushion I assume those 2 circuits to be good. So, I suggest you measure resistance on the seat back heat element. There is a two pin connector under the seat for the seat back heater. Disconnect it and measure resistance between the 2 pins on the component side. Resistance must be less than 5 ohms, if not replace the seat back heat element.

Important: If you have side curtain air bags disconnect the battery ground and wait a few minutes before you muck around under the seats. You don't want to accidentally set those things off.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

I also have the same problem in my 02 LTD. No heat from the seat but the light does come on. I have been doing alot of searching and haven't found much info.

I did find a post about which wire controls the heat. And this is from memory......????? There is a yellow connector under the seat(looking from the back seat). If you apply 12v to the blue/yellow stripe and the black
wire and the seat heats up, then that would mean that the problem is not in the seat itself.

Also, the other day my buddy hooked the X up to the scan tool and in the part the monitors the seats, the scan tool said the seats were "off" when I actually turned them "on" and the light was on. When I turned them "off" from the seat,the light would go off,but the scan tool said they the heat was now "on"
doesn't make sense??

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this to help out a couple of cold rear-ends.

Is it one seat or both seats that do not heat up?

Not to steal this thread but I have the same problem with my 03 Eddie. I bought the truck this spring and the seat heaters worked great but never needed them. Now that the cold weather is here they are not working!! I get the little seat icon on the climate control panel but the lights on both seats on the on off switch does not light up. Is there a separate fuse for the seat heaters?

Both seats or just one that doesn't heat?

UPDATE: I ran out at lunch today, ran the truck for about 30 minutes and just turned both the passenger and driver seat heater on asd I left and just let it go. Nothing the first 10 minutes and then out of no where heat! After it was on a while it actually was too hot, like I was going to burn the elements up. I kept feeling the passenger seat and you could feel heat form that seat too, but it did not seem as hot. I opened the door at a traffic light to check the seat button and the light was still not on. I remember it lighting up green when the seat was on (correct me if I am wrong). It actually got so hot that it started to get uncomfortable.

I did not turn off the heater when I left the truck to run my errand. I started the truck with everything on and this time it took about 5 minutes to start up and then it did not get as hot, but I did not leave it on as long due to the frequent stops.

All this time both seat lights (on the button on the seat) are not on but the icon on the HVAC control is showing the heated seats with the 2 arrows.

Why both lights are not working but the seats are heating up is concerning. I am sure I still have some sort of electrical issue especially when the drivers seat went super hot.

I left the drivers seat this time on so when I go out later I will see if it heats back up again and let you know.

Well, that was short!! I drove home today for about 1/2 hour and nothing on the drivers side but this time the passenger side was working.

Must be some sort of short somewhere.........

Only the drivers side NOT working.

That is correct. Initially both were working when I bought the truck this Spring, but to be honest, I only turned them on once or twice during my test drive and then again when I got home to make sure they worked. After that summer was here and they stayed off. Now that we have 20 degree weather, I wanted to use them this week and found they both did not work.

After playing around (simply pushing the wires underneath the seat hoping something just came loose over the summer), and then checking the fuse which was OK, I tried again. I has some initial success yesterday with both on. The drivers seat after about 1/2 hour got super hot. I have heated seats in my other car and they dont get that hot. I think I may have blown it out as the driver seat has not worked since.

The passenger seat though is working fine.

Cobra and 02exp

Alright, when one seat heater works and the other doesn't, and the indicator in the EATC display does come on then it usually means one of the resistance circuits is toast in the seat that doesn't work. There are other possibilities but this is a good place to look first.

I mentioned in a post above to disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes to make sure the airbags are disarmed before working under the seats. I don't know if it is really possible to accidentally deploy the airbags by unplugging the wrong connector under there, but the diagnostic procedure is full of warnings about disabling the SRS. So take care.

The two connectors you guys want to disconnect are the 4-pin connector (C364) to the seat cushion heater and the 2-pin connector (C365) to the seat back heater.

Measure the resistance between pins 1 and 4 (the two outside most pins) on C364 component side. Is the resistance less than 5 ohms? YES - go on, NO - replace the seat cushion heater.

Measure the resistance between pins 1 and 2 on C365 component side. Is the resistance less than 5 ohms? YES - go on, NO - replace the seat back heater.

Measure the resistance between pins 2 and 3 (innermost pins) on C364 component side. Is the resistance less than 300,000 ohms and greater than 50 ohms? YES - install a new heated seat module. NO - replace the seat cushion heater.

So, get yourselves a good digital VOM and check those circuits. Let us know what you find out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the replies rrgone, I will do that within the next couple of days and report back.

Back