• Register Today It's free!

Heater Control valve vacuum line?

rtallen

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Sport
Welp; I've had my '03 Explorer Sport for a week now, and with a little work, I've got it running better. I've come to the conclusion, that someone disconnected the climate control and heater control valve vaccum lines on the left side of the engine compartment, and didn't get them back together correctly. There is currently no vacuum line on the heater control valve. Does anyone have a diagram on climate control vaccuum for the 4.0? Or, at least tell me where the vacuum line from the heater control valve should be connected?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welp; I've had my '03 Explorer Sport for a week now, and with a little work, I've got it running better. I've come to the conclusion, that someone disconnected the climate control and heater control valve vaccum lines on the left side of the engine compartment, and didn't get them back together correctly. There is currently no vacuum line on the heater control valve. Does anyone have a diagram on climate control vaccuum for the 4.0? Or, at least tell me where the vacuum line from the heater control valve should be connected?

Thanks
I'm not sure if the Explorer Sport is the same as a regular Explorer, but on a regular 3rd gen, there are 2 vacuum lines going into the firewall on the passenger side. One of them goes in and controls the air recirculation door, the mode doors, and also goes back out through the firewall via the 2nd line which goes to the heater valve which is on the rubber hose that supplies warm engine coolant to the heater core. The temperature blend door is controlled by an electronic actuator on the drivers side behind the dash. If you are unsure which vacuum line is in or out, the one that runs up toward the intake manifold is the vacuum feed line. The other should go to the heater valve. They are very brittle so be extra careful with them and also check them for cracks. You can just turn the valve by hand if you need to. As far as which is which at the firewall, I think the top is supposed to be the feed and the bottom to the valve, but I could be wrong it's been a minute.

I'm not sure if the Explorer Sport is the same as a regular Explorer, but on a regular 3rd gen, there are 2 vacuum lines going into the firewall on the passenger side. One of them goes in and controls the air recirculation door, the mode doors, and also goes back out through the firewall via the 2nd line which goes to the heater valve which is on the rubber hose that supplies warm engine coolant to the heater core. The temperature blend door is controlled by an electronic actuator on the drivers side behind the dash. If you are unsure which vacuum line is in or out, the one that runs up toward the intake manifold is the vacuum feed line. The other should go to the heater valve. They are very brittle so be extra careful with them and also check them for cracks. You can just turn the valve by hand if you need to. As far as which is which at the firewall, I think the top is supposed to be the feed and the bottom to the valve, but I could be wrong it's been a minute.
I appreciate the answer. I'm also trying to figure out which lines leaving the vacuum ball should go where. I have search the internet far and wide, and can't find one picture or legend describing this. I guess it's trial and error. Can't break what's already broken.

Well, I connected it based on your recommendations, and the air circulates in all positions, now. I should have realized that the hose from the intake had to be connected to the vaccum ball, to provide vacuum. Thanks again.

I appreciate the answer. I'm also trying to figure out which lines leaving the vacuum ball should go where. I have search the internet far and wide, and can't find one picture or legend describing this. I guess it's trial and error. Can't break what's already broken.
Where is the vacuum ball located. The description of those two hoses sounds like my same issue. I'm trying to locate where the upper hose goes

Where is the vacuum ball located. The description of those two hoses sounds like my same issue. I'm trying to locate where the upper hose goes
Is yours a regular explorer or an explorer sport?

Is yours a regular explorer or an explorer sport?
Its a regular explorer 4.0. Is this the vacuum ball?

20230711_235047.jpg

Its a regular explorer 4.0. Is this the vacuum ball?

View attachment 443774
There is no vacuum ball on the regular 4.0 explorer. The feed for the ac actuators comes directly from the intake manifold as stated in my original response above to OP. The thing in your photo is the EGR valve. I could be wrong, but I believe that red vacuum line running down toward the bottom left corner is the feed line, which should connect to a black line that runs into the passenger side firewall, which means the other end of that red line should be running into the drivers side rear of the intake manifold.

There is no vacuum ball on the regular 4.0 explorer. The feed for the ac actuators comes directly from the intake manifold as stated in my original response above to OP. The thing in your photo is the EGR valve. I could be wrong, but I believe that red vacuum line running down toward the bottom left corner is the feed line, which should connect to a black line that runs into the passenger side firewall, which means the other end of that red line should be running into the drivers side rear of the intake manifold.
Yes you are correct. I did find where that other line connected too. Thanks

Back