• Register Today It's free!

Heater just stopped working?

cflecknell

Reaction score
City, State
Banff, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 2-door 4WD
Ok, so the heater has been pumping out lots of heat for a couple of months now since I bought the vehicle. This morning, started it up drove 20km to work with practically no heat coming out at all! It made for a cold morning since it was -9c out when I left this morning!

Any ideas where to look first? I've had no previous heating issues or signs.
I do know my rad is leaking and will be replaced very soon (btw anyone know where to get decent priced rads around calgary?). possible crud buildup somewhere?

I will be taking a look at the core tomorrow if nobody has any other ideas. (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160622)
Thanks!

If the coolant level got low enough the heater will not work due to lack of circulation. Try fixing your radiator first and while you have the system drained it would be a good idea to put a new thermostat in as well.

If the engine temp gauge is running where it normally does, then I suspect you have a clogged heater core. Try flushing the heater core out with a garden hose.

you might also be losing water from a bad heater core. they leak out through the a/c drain and fool people until it is too late.

the heater core, whether it's stopped up or leaking is quick & simple to replace on the '91 to '94 models. use the search feature, buy a manual, do the job yourself & save money.

J...replaced mine last winter !

Back