Heater not on but heat in passenger compartment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater not on but heat in passenger compartment

maagk

Reaction score
City, State
Greensburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
A few years ago we did a blend door fix to get heat. Last year the ac would not recharge and by brother figured that it was leaking and that I would just have to live without the AC. This was towards the end of summer so no big deal. Now that we are getting hot again, I have MAJOR heat in the car, especially in the drivers side. I cannot drive the car with sandals, only closed shoes as it gets so hot down by the gas pedal. Could the AC and heat problem be related? My brother, who is a mechanic, said that maybe I lost the heat shield? I was reading some threads on the boards after I searched heat in passenger compartment, but I am not a mechanic and not sure what I was looking at. I can drive without the ac but the heat problem is really a problem. thank you in advance.
This is a 1996 EB 6 cyl 4 door.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few years ago we did a blend door fix to get heat. Last year the ac would not recharge and by brother figured that it was leaking and that I would just have to live without the AC. This was towards the end of summer so no big deal. Now that we are getting hot again, I have MAJOR heat in the car, especially in the drivers side. I cannot drive the car with sandals, only closed shoes as it gets so hot down by the gas pedal. Could the AC and heat problem be related? My brother, who is a mechanic, said that maybe I lost the heat shield? I was reading some threads on the boards after I searched heat in passenger compartment, but I am not a mechanic and not sure what I was looking at. I can drive without the ac but the heat problem is really a problem. thank you in advance.
This is a 1996 EB 6 cyl 4 door.
Explain "a/c would not recharge". Do you mean you were unable to add R134? What heat shield? I would say you have a blend door problem, or the heater shut off valve in the heater hose is stuck open. Are you not able to redirect the air from the floor to the dash vents, or the defrost vents?

Sounds like the blend door or actuator has failed again. I doubt it's related to the A/C.

Even if the heater valve was stuck open, most of the air passing through the vents would bypass the heater core and wouldn't pick up much heat. Which blend door fix did you do?

Blend door failed and it is stuck on "HEAT". Maybe only the actuator is broke this time.
The Hot Water valve is open all the time (for "defogging" reasons) so you get heat. Do what I did (till you get to replace the actuator):

valve.png

we added and added coolant and still did not get cold air, just blows hot air. also added the coolant with the leak sealer and that did not work. The blend door fix that I remember my ex doing was hi went thru the glove box, cut a hole and then forced something open, (I think, I do know he put a hole in the glove box and used a mirror or something to fix it.)

You will not get cold air until you fix the blend door.

we did the blend door fix in 2005 or 2006 and I had a/c and heat, although I could not adjust the tempature, it was either all hot or all cold until last summer.

In Sonic67's post look at the heater control valve. Have someone in the car while running turn the knob to A/c and see if the valve moves to off. It should turn the valve or it isn't working correct. Also make sure the Vacuum line is attached to it. Heat =Open valve A/C= Closed valve.

we did the blend door fix in 2005 or 2006 and I had a/c and heat, although I could not adjust the tempature, it was either all hot or all cold until last summer.
This tells us the blend door wasn't fixed. If it were, you'd have temperature control.

Back