Hello Again!! Could be getting an Explorer again, need Pros and Cons of diff gens! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello Again!! Could be getting an Explorer again, need Pros and Cons of diff gens!

unpredictable1

Reaction score
City, State
AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 blazer lt
I used to have a 93 Eddie Bauer which I reluctantly sold but now...I'm in a real good financial situation.

I'm at the part of my life where I need the practicality of the Explorer back. Plans on having a big dog, kids, all that jazz is coming into play.

So, I'm partial to 1st gen Explorers....but I'm open to suggestions. I need to know pros and cons of all the generations and what ones to stay away from...the only cons about the lastest generation is the price :(

So please, help me out!!!

Thanks!

lbrowne

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it depends what you need it for....offroading, grocery shopping, fuel economy etc.....Tell us the specifics first LOL

91-94 pro - strong reliable motor.
91-94 pro - TTB (?) front end instead of the IFS on 95+ so thats good if you will do some off roading.

91-94 CONS
first gen 91-94's biggest con is the tranny. Very Weak.
Also if equpited with auto hubs well they're junk. Even if you don't use 4wheel drive you can run into problems
91-92 only CON - has old AC refridgerant and can be costly to get working again.

1995+ Pros
Tranny got reworked, still junk but a tad more reliable.
Also IFS if your not lookin to offroad this provides a much better ride IMO

CONS
1995-2001 on expos equipted with the SOHC may people experience problems with the camshaft chain tensioner and if its past milage can be a hefty repair

i'd do more but i gotta get to work.. :)

what about the 1st Gen Manual Transmissions?

are they crap too?

i was thinking about selling my 92 4dr XLT and getting a 1st Gen Sport with a 5speed

all i gotta say is either go with the V8 or the V6 SOHC...and if ur going with the V6 sohc stay away from 97....peace...happy hunting.

some 93s also have the old ac refrigerent depending on when theyt where built

95-01..the best ever made..IMHO

Theres a 96 XLT, tow package, v8, for 4500 bucks Canadian here in my city.

Something doesn't add up here, because thats super cheap. Apparently theres quite a bit of recent work done....must have a HUGE amount of miles on it.

Ford_Racing_Guy said:
what about the 1st Gen Manual Transmissions?

are they crap too?

i was thinking about selling my 92 4dr XLT and getting a 1st Gen Sport with a 5speed

I don't think they are totall crap. I had problems with mine (first gear on the jack shaft committed suicide...and took his neibors with him). The most common cause of failure with the MOD5 is that there are some plugs on the top (rubber) that can come out, spilling the fluid, and causing a bearing to seize. These plugs can be replaced with metal ones. Also I found out from the mechanic who rebuilt mine is there is a plastic funnel inside the tranny that catches and funnels fluid that's flung around and directs it to be bearings, this can get clogged up sometimes and cause a bearing to seize. Not BAD tranny's, they do have their problems. The slave cylinder is known to go bad, and you have to drop the tranny to replace it, and of course clutches/pressure plates/ release bearings, all wear out, but that' no different from any other manual.

Later
CP:D

The 2nd Generation Explorer is a way better car than the version it replaced. Standard airbags, ABS, etc.

If you can find a 96, or 97 AWD V8 with leather, and in good shape, it is going to be the most reliable.

MP

lbrowne said:
Theres a 96 XLT, tow package, v8, for 4500 bucks Canadian here in my city.

Something doesn't add up here, because thats super cheap. Apparently theres quite a bit of recent work done....must have a HUGE amount of miles on it.

I'd go for this one, It's about the same one I bought (mine has 197 000kms) and is in mint condition. I paid 4900$ :D

Good Luck !

I'd look for either a 1st gen with a stick, or a 2nd gen with a V8 if mpg isn't a huge concern. The V8's have a more stout drivetrain, and have an available AWD. You don't get a low range though.

Ok I finally got a hold of the owner... 235,000 kilometers :eek: (thats like 146k miles)

He just had a diff replaced by a ford dealership, and it blew so its going back to get fixed again (he said he won't let it go with it broke)

Noticed some of the replys are like "get this cuz I like it" but really what he wants is pros and cons :p

As said it depends on what you want, The TTB with the first gens is better for off roading and easier to replace with a Solid Front Axel if you ever wanted to than the indepenant suspension of the later gens. The first gens generally cost less. The first gens seem to have a rather reliable engine making 155 horses stock. The auto tranny on the First gens is rather crappy but if your lookin into a standard then you have alot less to worry about because they are much more reliable. The V8 that was offered in the early versions of explorers had full time (or automatic) 4wd I do believe and you couldn't choose low range (not quite sure on that one) Whatever you do dont get any of the first year of any of the generations (91,95...) cuz as you may guess they are more likely to have bugs

I have to ask but in your opinion do you think that an explorer is big enough? My parents have an expedition which hauls a large and small dog, babyseat and baby 2 teenagers and 2 adults and when I think about putting all that in my x (92) it kinda seem like it would be cramped. Im not saying get rid of the idea of getting another x cuz I know I sure would give all that a try in my x but I was just wondering on your opinion

my 95 doesnt really have any bugs, the newer explorers have more problems than mine does

not all but some did. One guy on here has, I do beleive to be, a 2001 or somthin and the paint is rusting and the clearcoat on his rims is gone and the interior paneling is falling off...etc etc. 91, 95, and 01 were all i could think of (not sure about the 01)

My 01 Sport is my first X. I bought it in Aug 02 and have been extremely happy with it. I'm up to over 60K miles on it so far and not a trace of a problem.

All first year cars are much more likely to have manufacturing bugs. Unless you buy them new, they have probably already been replaced in the warranty period.

Hey General X, I just noticed you're in Fort Mac! I am too :)

My old 93 Eddie Bauer is running around here somewhere. In fact she was the only one here with a safari roof rack. Miss that rig. Shes dark green with the tan underbody.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crap!!! Your the closest to home I have found on this site. Not a whole lot of canadians on this site and all of them i ever see are from BC and Ontario. I was gunna ask of your location cuz it doesnt say on you profile. My x isent on the road yet...Im waiting til april 6th to get cheaper insurance from a driving coarse. Then you may see my white/blue explorer cruizing

Its supposed to get to +12 today. Alright:D

Back