• Register Today It's free!

Hello and first question(s)

GaTechFan

Reaction score
City, State
Right side
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLS
I have an 04 2WD model. It does not have a hitch receiver on it and does not have the factory wiring hookup on it. I have been looking at some sites selling various brands of Class III receiver hitches and reading the reviews on them. First question is for those who may have put one of these on is what brand did you use and would you recommend it (as far as ease of installation)?

Second question: etrailers.com sells a wiring harness for my model which the site says there is a factory hookup. Mine did not come wired with a harness. I suspect someone has done this before and would like to ask if there is such a factory hookup and where might I start looking for it.

Third question: I just sold my F250 pickup. Before that I had an F150. Both had a electric brake controller on. Both had a plug under the dash I was able to simply plug the controller into. Do the ST's have such a plug.

I'm pretty sure this truck does not have a tow package or camping package and don't even know if it was an option. I assume it may have been offered because I have seen posts here stating they have factory receiver hitches.

Sorry for so many questions on my first post. Thanks for looking

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Thanks. After searching I think I found the answer to most of my questions. I would still like to know about installation of receiver hitch, which is less difficult to install.

I had a Class IV Hidden Hitch on my old '05 Trac. High quality and tucks real close to the bumper. At the time I just had surgery on my elbow and my arm was in a sling, so I took it to a bud of mine who owns a transmission shop but he said it went on pretty easy. I had him put Locktite on the bolts just to be safe. If you do it yourself I'd recommend two jackstands or two friends to hold it up while you bolt it on.

Unless it got ripped off or cut off, there should be a 4 pin trailer plug up under the bumper somewhere. That and a separate tranny cooler are standard. A 7 pin plug and an electric brake hookup you'll have to add yourself.

I added a U-Haul brand class IV receiver on my '04 and it went on fairly easily, with the most annoying part simply being realigning the bumper cover properly (it is removed during the hitch install).

As JohnnyO said, there should be a 4-pin plug already run at your rear bumper, but it could be like mine was when I bought it (used) where it had come loose from the flimsy holder on the bumper cover and was just taped up inside the bumper to stay out of the way.

Tom

If you are pulling something that needs a trailer brake setup, then it is probably too much of a load for a v6 Explorer. But a v8 Explorer is different beast. Bigger engine, more torque, and a better transmission.

If you are pulling something that needs a trailer brake setup, then it is probably too much of a load for a v6 Explorer.
Towing laws vary by state but as I recall all of them require trailer brakes once you're over 2000 lb., some require them if it is less. V6 Explorers are rated to tow 5000 lb.

John, you are right. I probably will not tow anything heavy enough for brakes. We bought the truck new and have never towed anything with it. However after getting rid of other vehicles I am driving this one, and really was just curious if connecting a controller was as easy as on larger trucks. Thanks.

John, you are right. I probably will not tow anything heavy enough for brakes. We bought the truck new and have never towed anything with it. However after getting rid of other vehicles I am driving this one, and really was just curious if connecting a controller was as easy as on larger trucks. Thanks.
Oh, the answer is definitely not. I've been very intimate with my v6 Sport Trac(10 years) and v8 Limited(6.5 years). Ford never planned for Explorer owners to do heavy duty towing. I installed a brake controller in my Limited and had to do all the wiring myself to the 7pin plug that I integrated into the bumper..

Years ago when my Sport Trac was much newer I towed a friends Saturn on a U-haul trailer(This was before U-Suck stopped renting to Explorer owners). I thought I was gonna kill my poor Sport Trac. But my v8 Limited tows like a champ(for its size :D). Of course she's not totally stock. I went to 4.10 gears, extra tranny cooler, tranny temp guage, and tranny oil filter.

04070005.jpg

410702160006.jpg

Back