Hello from Arkansas. Any Cummins fans here? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello from Arkansas. Any Cummins fans here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wher could i get that motor? and what would installation be like? thatd b rediculous

My most modest estimate of fuel mileage from a 3.3 cummins in my explorer will put me around 25-30 mpg. I am looking seriously at a 3.3, but the 3.9 has been around since our fathers were young and there is a crap load of information about them, while the 3.3has been around since only '98 or so. However, the 3.3 QSB will out horsepower and out tourque the 3.9 any day of the week when stock. But you're looking at about double the money on the 3.3 (it has a common rail and is electronically controlled) while the 3.9 could be had at around $1200 pretty easy, and adapters are readily available from phoenix castings.

Dora, that Explorer from your sister, my first question is, what do you plan to do with it?

try this for a test of torque.

Put your front bumper against something solid (big tree close to pavement, a bick wall) put your truck in first gear (obviously you need a manual for this) and slowly let out the clutch without touching the accelerator. If you have sufficient torque, the back wheels will start to slowly spin.

There is a guy on www.4btswaps.com who did this test with an old-school F-250 crew cab full size bed with a 3.9 cummins. The engine did not stop turning. Neither did the wheels.

I don't know if you can get them to fit but a T56 (6-speed) would handle the torque. You can get them to fit many different applications.

i am almost 90% positive that a 700r4 or a th350 will bolt up to those 3.9 cummins..... and i think those are the trans a lot of guys are using on drag cars and big trucks.....

thats just what ive heard

if somebody does this swap they will HAVE to do a full right up and a video of it running hahaha

you could run on used cooking oil from a local burger joint or something and have almost free fuel!!! still would have to process the grease a little though

i am almost 90% positive that a 700r4 or a th350 will bolt up to those 3.9 cummins..... and i think those are the trans a lot of guys are using on drag cars and big trucks.....

There are several bell housing adapters available for them. http://fordcummins.com/sells a few and there are lots of other places to get them.

I believe I was replying to another link about your explorer, Dora. Cannot recall now :)

Has anyone put more ponies behind their 4.0 and killed the a4LD? The 3.9 has only an extra 60 ft/lbs torque than the 4.0 when stock, and less horsepower. I'm starting to think the A4LD may handle a cummins............

The A4LDcurrently onboard is a Jasper rebuilt tranny; I'm hoping maybe they upgraded the thing from stock. Found the reciept in the glove box after I bought it. Turns out the previous owner sank around $4000 into the thing not too long ago.

If You Do The Swap Thats Awesome But Get Rid Of The Stock Afld If You Have The Piece Of Junk!!!!!

Back