HELP 1993 Ranger Gauge Cluster Not working No Gauges | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP 1993 Ranger Gauge Cluster Not working No Gauges

wrangler90

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger
Help I just bought a 1993 Ranger with the 2.3 engine. The gauge cluster is not working no gauges at all. We have the dash apart and the cluster has been removed. We also added a jumper wire to the engine block for an additional ground. I checked the #13 fuse which does not have any power on either side of it. The haynes manual does not show any detail for the wiring of the cluster. How do I trouble shoot all of this? Where do I start? The guy at the parts store stated the GEM Module could be bad. The haynes manual does not mention a GEM module. I checked for corrosion on the two wire harness plugs and the plug contacts on the gauge cluster. There is a small PC board that can be removed from the cluster we cleaned those contacts with an eraser. Any step by step trouble shooting guidance is appreciated. Thanks

Hi I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your gauge cluster not working? I just bought a 94 ranger with the same problem. Mine is not getting any power, I've checked the fuses and they all seem to be good. I changed cables and checked grounds. frustrating problem.

I don't have a Ranger (anymore), but I found a diagram on the county library website. If you have no power either side of fuse 13, you either need to turn on your park (or head) lights and check again, or... you have a power issue coming INTO the fuse box.

If that's ok, then I'd look at ground G203 and work your way back to the cluster to see if you have an open wire somewhere along there. Somewhere (the diagram didn't say where) there's a splice where 4 other ground wires branch out to different gauges in the cluster. Since ALL the gauges are out, the problem could likely be in the single wire from the splice to the ground point.

Likewise, Fuse 7 is similar, but feeds power from the fuse box on a single wire to a splice, which then branches out to power the gauges. Check that path too.

Can't help much more from here...

Back