Help: 98 Explorer 4.0 OHV Troubles (PATS) (Fuel supply issue)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: 98 Explorer 4.0 OHV Troubles (PATS) (Fuel supply issue)?

Mycarisfcked

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer

• So recently, I purchased a 98 explorer knowing it needed a fuel pump. The day I bought it I replaced the fuel pump with one that I got out of a salvage yard. I only replaced the pump, not the whole assembly. After the process was complete the car cranked up and I drove it about a hour and 15 minutes home with no problem until I was only miles away from home and the battery died. The next day I put some extra fuel in it because I knew I was maybe at an 1/8th of a tank and jumped it off... The car wouldn't start unless starting fluid was being sprayed in the intake manifold but it would instantly die off as I stopped spraying starter fluid. I got it towed home. From there, I replaced the alternator and began diagnostics. I replaced the fuel filter hoping it was something as simple as a clogged filter... Still no start. Car turns over consistently and must be getting spark because the starting fluid would start the motor. I hear the fuel pump still working... Did some more research and learned about the PATS system and discovered that the anti theft light is blinking rapidly with the key turned on or trying to crank. Would the PATS cause the fuel pump to not pressurize enough to crank? Maybe injectors clogged? Maybe the fuel pump is weak? Or maybe it's just the transponder in the key and the pats system activated while my battery died? Maybe a combination of both? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated thank you so much.

Had similar problem; changed pump still got only 17 psi. Took down the tank (again) and put the gauge directly on the output pipe. Still only 17 psi. I extracted all the bolts holding the pump assembly and fed 12 V to the black and red wires in the harness. With a flashlight peering in, I lifted the assembly just enough to see the top of the actual pump and I saw that the regulator was spewing fuel from fatigue cracks all over the black plastic housing. (This can be very dangerous especially if you're a smoker, duh) Voila I found the problem. Now how can I get a regulator without buying the whole assembly? I don't need a pump. Maybe I'll just go to a pull-it yard and look for pump or regulator that's easy to extract.

Back