• Register Today It's free!

help! amps wont turn off!

smood74

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
my amps wont turn off anymore when i take out the key. i dunno whats wrong i checked the remote on both and all good. also if i was to turn everything on my sub kicks a sharp beat b4 the music plays....anyone?

oh yea would it drain my battery? like only enough power to run the on light or will it drain full on

kinda weird cuz everyone was fine an hour earlier then it started to act this way. thanks

btw the amps are a JL 500/1 and a alpine mrd-240...deck is a alpine is a CDA-9853 all ran for a about half a year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only thing that could cause this is that your remote wire is connected to an "always hot" wire. Get a multimeter and check your wires.

yea, thats the only thing i can think of. maybe a portion of your remote wire is stripped or making connections with another.

-or-

He could have shorted the internal relay/switch.....which is also very likely.

Ryan

so wat u think i should do? double check both my remote wires? and what is ths thing with the selenoid? i dunno how any of this couldve happened but normal use though...

First thing I would do is get a multimeter and test your remote wire (from the radio). It should only have power when the key is turned "on". If it has power when the key is turned off, then you know its something else.

k imma do that in the morning. so lets say theres power if key off what does that mean? vice versa?

Spdrcer34 said:
-or-

He could have shorted the internal relay/switch.....which is also very likely.

Ryan
This is exactly what is wrong

this will do. how do i fix the problem then

smood74 said:
this will do. how do i fix the problem then

I believe I already explained.
Use the power antenna lead and ditch the mystery wire.
Or buy a new head unit. It is really that simple
I can't run a sewing machine, and don't feel bad about it
Maybe you need a professional to look at it, as you really need an understanding of electronics to succesfully wire a stereo, and avoid damage.
I'm referring to your mystery wire. I would never include a connection I couldn't identify, just because it worked

Smood, you need to clear your messages
5 is the limit i think
check for 12v at blue wire and blue/white wire at deck when you switch it on

Back