help antifreeze leak..92xlt

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
hey guys my 92 xlt the other day when i pulled it out of my garage and into my drive way started slowly leaking antifreeze...it does it in 2 spots sort directly under the radiator.... it didn't pour out, but slowly dripped. this was when the truck was turned off

I then drove it around town that night and check frequently when i would stop at a place ie. wal mart and checked to see if it was leaking again. Each time there was no puddle and no leaking taking place.

Yesterday i pulled it out of my garage into the driveway and once again it dripped slowly. No major leaking or over heating taking place...

I have no idea what it could be can anyone help me....whats broken on my X.......

any help is appericated.

thanks,
ryan

Nothing,

Every winter the explorer board see's two problems. One is the hubs being busted and two is the antifreeze. The hubs are being found when they try and use the 4x4 for the first time in a year to drive through the snow. Every year this seems to happen.

The antifreeze is due to the clamp on the hose. The hose seems to expand some when it's cold and allows drops to leak out. When it heats up the hose conforms more and working with the clamp it holds all the antifreeze in. Keep an eye on it, but don't lose sleep over it. :D

If the leak is under the raditator it may be a few things.

1) Check to make sure the drain plug is tightened.
2) Check the plastic tanks on either side. Most likely this is your culprit.

The metal radiator expands at a different rate than the plastic tanks on either side. Over time, the 'crimping' which holds them to the radiator gives way to leakage.

This happened to my 91. I would start the car and get a steady stream from the plastic tank (top of radiator) dripping down to the pavement. Once the car was fully warmed up, the leak stopped. It only did this in the winter because the temp dropped enough to open the rift.

The fix was to get a new/used radiator and replace. I got mine from JDraper's rolled 92. Replacement took just under an hour.

Back