HELP! Any New Mazda or Aftermarket OEM Headlights out there at all?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Any New Mazda or Aftermarket OEM Headlights out there at all??

91MazdaNava

Reaction score
City, State
Davis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Mazda Navajo
Some dingus backed into me at a stoplight-had no idea how hard it would be to find a replacement OEM headlight housing assembly or assemblies (if I found them-I'd just get 2-my old ones are yellowed). Anyone know of...any place, anywhere.. that has any stock?? Would be a huge help. Thanks!

E

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They don't exist. The only way to get a set is off eBay or junkyards. If you need a grill you're really in trouble. There are no replacement parts made for the the navajo specific parts, taillights included. I was lucky enough to find a guy in Tennessee willing to pull the navajo parts off his and ship them to me. It wasn't cheap either.

Your other option it to just get all the explorer pieces and swap it to a explorer. You can sell off what's left of usable Navajo parts.

They don't exist. The only way to get a set is off eBay or junkyards. If you need a grill you're really in trouble. There are no replacement parts made for the the navajo specific parts, taillights included. I was lucky enough to find a guy in Tennessee willing to pull the navajo parts off his and ship them to me. It wasn't cheap either.

Your other option it to just get all the explorer pieces and swap it to a explorer. You can sell off what's left of usable Navajo parts.

Damn. What all other parts would I need for the explorer conversion?

For the front you just need headlights/marker lights, grill, header panel.

How bad is the front of the navajo? Anything salvageable?

For the front you just need headlights/marker lights, grill, header panel.

How bad is the front of the navajo? Anything salvageable?

Header Panel? The only thing that was damaged was one headlight and the grill

The header pannel is what supports everything. The grille and lights on the Navajo bolt to this, and the header panel attaches to the body. The explorer is a little different. If I remember correct it doesn't use one. I'd have to look at my other parts truck

Wish I had seen your post earlier. I only now browsed the forum, coincidentally just after a brand new set of headlight assemblies on my 1992 Explorer Sport, (aka Mazda Navajo). I ordered a brand new set from Rock Auto last Friday, and FedEx left them at my door on Tuesday. My originals were fogged and old, and new replacements were less than $30 each, including bulbs. I also see that they have brand new replacement grills for less than $28. Lots of parts for my Explorer on Rock Auto.
I used my old Haynes manual for instructions of how to replace the headlight assemblies, and it was about half accurate, but regardless, it wasn't too hard to change the headlight assembly.
I should have also bought the marker light assemblies and surround trim, since they're so cheap, and they are removed along with the headlight assembly anyway. I think the front side marker lenses were $3 and change each, and the trim frames (Rock Auto calls them headlight doors) were a little over $7 each.
Oddly, I couldn't find the front turn signal lenses though.
I just got back from driving around the block to see how well the new lights work. It's amazing how they light up the road now.

Wait, I use rockauto and when I searched, it didn't come up. Are you 100% sure the 92 Sport front end exterior is exactly the same??

I wish I could say for sure. Looking at my old Haynes manual for my explorer, It covers both the Explorer AND the Navajo. But considering that the instructions for removing the grill on my '92 Explorer Sport aren't 100% accurate, I couldn't say.

I know that the Rock Auto listing for those parts exist under their '92 Explorer Sport list, but not under the Navajo. If they fit both, I'd expect them to have the headlight assembly found under the Navajo too.
I don't know why they would have differences under the surface, since their from the same platform. But if you do want to convert the front end to the Explorer style, they have most the parts.

Back