any idea if aftermarket headlights on ebay same as OEM? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

any idea if aftermarket headlights on ebay same as OEM?

deuce07

Reaction score
City, State
hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 xlt v8 ironman
hi, 6 months ago, i opened up my left headlight to fix some condensing that was inside my headlight by opening it up and resealing it. in the process, i have resealed it twice and at certain points it opens up and continue to condense.

i was wondering if the aftermarket headlight on ebay (the black headlights in particular) is exactly the same as the OEM?

I currently own a ironman 2007.

please let me know if any of you guys have had experience.

i do notice that the auction states that they are DOT/SAE approved.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From a quality point of view, no, quality is slightly inferior, at least as far as the 2 pairs I have bought so far (Eagle Eyes). The plastic shell is not as dense: once I removed the lens for a HID Retrofit, you can feel it kind of twist. It is not a problem once the lens is back on. Whatever they use to seal the lens on the shell is not as hard as the OEM; on the plus side, it made it a lot easier to open the assembly with only 4 minutes in the oven. I didn't see any difference as far as the reflector quality itself (reflective surface), but it does seem to be a little lighter than the OEM.

From a fit point of view, no issue whatsoever.

From a "long term use" point of vue, well, time will tell, but the 1st pair has been on my Ex for a year or so, and I don't see any deterioration so far.

icic, thanks for the feedback.

the reason why i want to replace one of my headlights is because eversince i resealed my headlight, there wasn't any condensing. but after i washed my car today, there was quite a bit of condensing on the bottom half (although i dont see no holes)

i read on several posts on google that its common for the headlight to condense when washing your car? does that make sense?

I get the Ex washed about once a month and have not had any condensation issue with the aftermaket assemblies. However, the ones on the Ex have not been opened (I'm working on an HID Projector Retrofit with another set). I seem to remember reading on a different forum that folks have had condensation issue when resealing an assembly when the seal is "too good" and the condensation is actually trapped inside the assembly. If there is condensation rather than a leak, and it is trapped inside, you're going to have a hell of a time getting that stuff out, I guess. Maybe a handful of tiny holes in the bottom of the assembly, out of the way, would help? How cold was the water compared to the outside temperature? My old BMW has that issue: cold spicket water on a warm early spring day... and it eventually goes away after a few hours in the sun. It does not happen later in the year. The headlight assembly on the BMW has 2 holes (with some funky tubes sticking out them), they appear to be vent holes and the tubes are bent at an angle to prevent water spash from getting in there.

thanks for the reply divemaster, i spoke to my dad earlier today and he told me it should disappear, i went ahead and put the headlight back into my car and drove (at night). there was still some water left inside the headlight.

on my way back, i noticed that the headlight started to condense more again. i took it out and there wasn't any water leaking on the areas where the water was condensing. i'm assuming i have a good seal and the water is continuing to condense because there was water in there to begin with.

as far as the weather, it was pretty cool, but the sun was beaming straight at my headlight. i'm assuming somehow from the direct sunlight, somehow the water got in? (not because of holes?)

I agree with your dad, it should disappear. However, if it does and you do have a good seal, it probably means that it just evaporated and it will come back. If it is bad enough to impair your night vision, I'd replace it with one of the ebay units. One problem is that it may not match exactly your original one... I'd still drill a few holes (1/16" or so) at the bottom of the unit first, somewhere that is not in direct access to either the rain or the water hose. Maybe one larger hole with a small length of hose, 3". Anything that could help vent the housing.

There should he a vent on the back of the housing, was that removed/plugged/sealed? If so, it will not allow the air to get in to evacuate the condensation...

If you get the eBay lights, just run some silicone via your finger around the sealed edge. No need to tear them apart to re-seal them, they might be fine, just a bit of insurance... :)

I don't see any vent in mine... I thought maybe it would be that rectangular area, but that seems to be sealed pretty good.

OEM%20Assembly%20-%20Back.jpg

There isn't a screen in there or something? Wow- I've always seen a screen on headlights! Hmmm...

There isn't a screen in there or something? Wow- I've always seen a screen on headlights! Hmmm...

None that I can see... on either the OEM or the aftermarket units I have for my 2007.

strange. after airing out my headlight, i popped it back in (didn't do any new seals) and they weren't fogging up.

From a quality point of view, no, quality is slightly inferior, at least as far as the 2 pairs I have bought so far (Eagle Eyes). The plastic shell is not as dense: once I removed the lens for a HID Retrofit, you can feel it kind of twist. It is not a problem once the lens is back on. Whatever they use to seal the lens on the shell is not as hard as the OEM; on the plus side, it made it a lot easier to open the assembly with only 4 minutes in the oven. I didn't see any difference as far as the reflector quality itself (reflective surface), but it does seem to be a little lighter than the OEM.

From a fit point of view, no issue whatsoever.

From a "long term use" point of vue, well, time will tell, but the 1st pair has been on my Ex for a year or so, and I don't see any deterioration so far.

okay its been raining in hawaii. it looks like i will buy replacement headlights..

any idea if there are any color difference with the amber side light?

anyone happen to have the OEM black headlight and the aftermarket black headlight to tell me if they are any different?

no one have complaints about their aftermarket headlights?

Back