• Register Today It's free!

HELP! brake disk won't come off

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey everyone, I am starting to replace my front right hub and I have hit a brick wall. I cannot get the brake disk off. I have the caliper and big bolt off but the disk seems to be frozen. I was following the "how to replace the front hub" and have been hitting it with a rubber mallet but I guess it is so rusted it won't move. Are there any special techniques anyone can advise? Any special places I should be shooting PB Blaster? I was hoping to get this done tonight. Or maybe there is a special tool...? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the top hat part of the disc, between two of the wheel studs, there should be a small threaded hole which I believe is metric. If you put the proper sized bolt in there and tighten it down, the bolt will push against the hub and help remove the disc.

PB Blaster should be liberally applied around the flange where the hub meets the disc.

In the top hat part of the disc, between two of the wheel studs, there should be a small threaded hole which I believe is metric. If you put the proper sized bolt in there and tighten it down, the bolt will push against the hub and help remove the disc.

PB Blaster should be liberally applied around the flange where the hub meets the disc.

unfortunately there is no hole anywhere:( I just went back and added quite a bit more PB Blaster. Also, can I hurt the rotor or anything by hitting the rotor as hard as i can with the rubber mallet in both directions? It doesn't matter if I hurt the bearing because thats what I am replacing, but what about anything else? Thanks!

You won't damage it with a rubber mallet no matter how hard you whack it. I've also used a piece of 2x4 and a good hammer to break them free.

If you do damage it, rotors aren't that expensive for the Explorer. About $31 from NAPA

Take the hub off with the rotor still attached. Then you can put the hub stud side down and beat the rotor until it comes off.

unfortunately there is no hole anywhere:( I just went back and added quite a bit more PB Blaster. Also, can I hurt the rotor or anything by hitting the rotor as hard as i can with the rubber mallet in both directions? It doesn't matter if I hurt the bearing because thats what I am replacing, but what about anything else? Thanks!

PB behind the rotor where it meets the hub helps too.

It helped me to wedge stuff between the knuckle and rotor. Drive some scraps of wood in there tight, then hit the other end of the rotor.

If you have a propane or mapp plumbing torch you can heat the hat area of the rotor.

Other than that its pound pound pound!

Make sure you avoid this next time by putting anti-sieze on the new rotor and hub contact surfaces.

Hours later she is off, thanks for the help everyone. Unfortunately my next issue is one of the hub bolts is not being cooperative. Im going to buy a 15mm 1/2 drive tomorrow so i can use my breaker bar on it though. Thanks again:thumbsup:

If you don't have air, do yourself a huge favor and take the assy to a shop and have them hit those bolts with a 15mm 6 point impact socket. Don't let them use a 5/8's! You may round the bolt heads off using a breaker bar. The impact should zip them right out for you.

Back