• Register Today It's free!

HELP cannot bleed power steering

toomanyfords

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville,MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98,93,and 91 explorers
I know there are like 1000 different threads already on this but I have read them all and tried them all. My problem is I just finished rebuilding the top end of my motor (98 ohv), had a cracked head yada yada yada. While I was in there I figured I'd do a new power steering pump due to the excess whine and whatnot. So I get a ford pump from ford, install all went smoothly. Followed bleed procedures with belt off and rotating pully by hand, thought I got all the air out. Start it up and continue to try and bleed, no luck. Return pump and get another ford one (warranty) because I thought it was a bad pump. New pump is doing the same thing. Tried driving around locally, no luck still whines like a sumbitch. Tried applying vacuum to reservoir and tried that bleed process. Still whines although I did get a lot of aeration at first and continued vacuum bleeding until I'm not getting anymore. Still whines. Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated I need this truck back as the 93 I'm driving now has a cracked exhaust manifold and sounds like a firecracker. Thanks in advance, Joey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

What type fluid are you using? Did you try filling the reservoir above the full mark? Try driving again, and turning the wheel lock to lock, do not hold against the lock position, fill the reservoir about 1/4 inch or so above the full mark. Hope this helps you.

Amsoil atf. I had it filled to the top during normal bleeding and a couple inches beloe the neck during vacuum bleeding so it wouldnt suck fluid. The other thing im gonna try today is pull the return hose and plug reservoir and try flushing it and hope the air flushes out. Anymore opinions more than welcome

Lock to lock turns while the engine is running is the way to bleed it. May take a few days for all the air to settle out of the fluid. You do know most ford pumps wine???

More then aware of the ford whine. Got three of em, but this one was really goin and it was already cominoutta the truk for other repairs and figured why not throw in a new one she deserves it. This new pump doesnt whine it screams

update: it cannot be this hard, I've had the pump out of one of my other explorers (didnt replace though) and it didn't give me any problems. Tried every which way of bleeding and driven about 10 miles, and it still screams like it did when I put it in. Thinking about buying a napa pump just to try it at this point. Any more ideas really appreciated as I need something to drive. It was mentioned it could take a few days, do you mean letting it sit or driving it?

Both. Just drive it like you normally would. Try jacking up the front end, while running turn lock to lock. Vary the speed you turn the wheel. Other than that, I am out of suggestions.

well I appreciate your time, I guess it's goin to work tomorow. Kinda skepticle due to I just did new heads, lifters, rocker arms, pushrods, timing chain, water pump and all these other fun goodies and I cant even hear if all is good there over this damn pump.

One bleeding method Iv'e had some results with: run engine with wheels straight, shut off engine and wait till you don't see any more bubbles coming up in the p/s fluid. Start engine and turn wheels to one side almost to lock but don't hold it hard over, shut off engine and wait for bubbles to stop. Start engine and turn wheels to the other direction, shut engine off and wait for bubbles to stop. One time like this is usually enough but I have had to do it more than once to stop the noise.

Well figured id post my results. Thank you all for your help but i finly got fed up and went to carquest and got another pump. Dead quiet. So after 2 ford pumps the cheaper aftermarket one is the decent one, who wulda guessed. Ill be calling ford tomorow to raise hell. Thanks again

Back