Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump

Doesn't the reservoir need to let air in as the fluid goes out to equalize the pressure, and the opposite when fluids return?

Is that bleeder valve a one way out only?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't want to let air get into a hydraulic system. The air eliminator has a built in check valve to allow air to flow in one direction only. It's designed to release air while it prevents fluid from leaking out of the vent (unless you turn the dial to manually bleed fluid out of it). This is a larger version which is similar to the one in post number 160:

Attachments

• 400-4-6.jpg
    400-4-6.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 197

I understand about air in hydro systems. The pump tank holds the fluids higher than the impeller, and when the fluids are forced into the system, say when turning the wheel, the fluid levels drop. When the wheels are moved back straight the fluids are pushed back into the tank. The vent hole allows the area in the tank to fill and release the air so not to introduce into the fluids, from a vacuum after heating up.

At least, this is my thinking, which could be flawed. :D

One was to sum up what you're saying, this is similar to what happens when you open a second hole in a can when you pour a liquid. The fluid doesn't have to fight against air when it leaves a can since it has a second hole to allow air in while the fluid leaves.

I installed the AGR pump last weekend and true to my normal self I procrastinated on getting the fluid, and no one around carried redline or royal purple ps fluid in stock so I called AGR for some advice. To my surprise, Josh, the owner recommended GM power steering fluid over RL and RP. He also let me know that he has gotten in touch with amsoil to make an AGR specific power steering fluid, which will be similar to the GM fluid.

Anyone else notice that the cap fits much more loose on the resevoir than on the OE unit?

I had a long chat with the newer owners last summer in Bedford Kentucky at a race.

Expect to add the hose for extra fluid or you will have the same issues as we previously had in this thread ;)

Back