Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump

Since my stock power steering pump has the reservoir on a 45 degree angle, I occasionally lose fluid through the hole in the cap while parking due to low RPM speed. Would the bent hose extension modification solve this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hose I sed does give it some height, more fluid capacity and does level the cap with the vehicle.

It should be noted that the hose will probably need replacing every couple of years...

..You don't..

You actually cut the pumps filler tube in half, move the upper half with cap to top of new hose, clamp, and the cap works like it always has..;)

If it doesn't..:shifty_ey ..its the Albinos fault...:)

What do you think about the idea of using a block off cap over the pump, then install a remote reservoir in the return line?

Do you mean run the return line from the pump to the remote reservoir and then run a line from the remote reservoir to the return line on the pump? If so, this won't work since the fluid is being pushed and unless the remote reservoir is sealed so it can fill up and be pressurized so the fluid will flow through it, the fluid won't make it back to the pump.

If you could seal the top of the stock reservoir and add a 5/8" fitting to the top of it you could, in theory, run a remote reservoir on the stock system. Basically, run the return line from the pump to a remote reservoir that is higher than the stock pump. Now run a 5/8" hose from the remote reservoir down to a 5/8 fitting on the top of the stock reservoir. Assuming everything seals it would get you some more capacity and an extra tank for the bubbles to settle.

One thing though, When I did my saginaw pump conversion (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417083) I dug around the yard for a few days and checked out lots of reservoirs. The 2000 astro van has a metal reservoir that might work and Honda Civics and Accords have a plastic one that might work too, although the Honda hose is metric and not 5/8". Those are the ones I'd try first as anything taller won't be high enough and there isn't that much room to install a remote reservoir and keep it higher than the stock system.

~Mark

Since the problem with the system is that air gets trapped, then it causes excessive noise with fluid leakage, I had an idea. Hot water heating systems have a similar problem with air which needs to be bled to prevent air pockets. What do you guys think about the idea of adding an automatic air eliminator in the power steering cap or a Spirovent device in the return line? It allows air to escape while preventing fluid from leaking.

...I fixed my issue a year or two ago but that was with an AGR pump ehich turns more rpms than stock..

..a common item when installing p.s. items is to not get the hoses tight enough..Although they won't leak fluid they can intake air at those fittings letting air into the system hence the steering whine....

Since the problem with the system is that air gets trapped, then it causes excessive noise with fluid leakage, I had an idea. Hot water heating systems have a similar problem with air which needs to be bled to prevent air pockets. What do you guys think about the idea of adding an automatic air eliminator in the power steering cap or a Spirovent device in the return line? It allows air to escape while preventing fluid from leaking.

The power steering reservoir isn't sealed so the air can escape. Once the bubbled are formes they will eventually pop and the be released into the air. The issue is really that there isn't enough fluid volume AND/OR there is no baffle to keep things from cavitation which creates bubbles.

If you look at my video of when I did my saginaw conversion you can see how much the fluid moved/cavitates when I used the astro van reservoir. It barely had a baffle and didn't have enough volume. Now compare it to how the fluid looks (same video) when I show inside the PSC reservoir which has a baffle and filter to stop the fluid from aerating.

The AGR pump is moving more fluid that the stock ford pump so as it is coming back it is being aerated. The extra volume from the hose (to make the reservoir bigger) helps mitigate this.

~Mark

...I fixed my issue a year or two ago but that was with an AGR pump ehich turns more rpms than stock..

..a common item when installing p.s. items is to not get the hoses tight enough..Although they won't leak fluid they can intake air at those fittings letting air into the system hence the steering whine....

Interesting, Tbars.
So that high RPM is what causes my weird experience of the AGR pump:
it feels like it is almost Too Easy to steer.
Like I can steer with my pinky.

...what size tires are you running?

The power steering reservoir isn't sealed so the air can escape. Once the bubbled are formes they will eventually pop and the be released into the air. The issue is really that there isn't enough fluid volume AND/OR there is no baffle to keep things from cavitation which creates bubbles.

If you look at my video of when I did my saginaw conversion you can see how much the fluid moved/cavitates when I used the astro van reservoir. It barely had a baffle and didn't have enough volume. Now compare it to how the fluid looks (same video) when I show inside the PSC reservoir which has a baffle and filter to stop the fluid from aerating.

The AGR pump is moving more fluid that the stock ford pump so as it is coming back it is being aerated. The extra volume from the hose (to make the reservoir bigger) helps mitigate this.

~Mark

I did the add-on tube extension/conversion.
So do you think I also need to think up a way to add a baffle?
Or a baffle and a filter?
I think I'm getting intermittent whine.

I did the add-on tube extension/conversion.
So do you think I also need to think up a way to add a baffle?
Or a baffle and a filter?
I think I'm getting intermittent whine.

What does the fluid look like when it's whining? Is it pink/aerated and sloshing around a bunch? When I was working on mine I waited until I got it to whine, pulled over, and held the rpms up as I watched/recorded what was going on in the reservoir.

~Mark

What does the fluid look like when it's whining? Is it pink/aerated and sloshing around a bunch? When I was working on mine I waited until I got it to whine, pulled over, and held the rpms up as I watched/recorded what was going on in the reservoir.

~Mark

I hope to take a look.
Thanks for the idea!
Maybe I need a little more length,
maybe use the bent tube like...was it TBars or Albino?
Or maybe figure out a baffle?

So they would be like 29" tires..

Yea...the stock pump is usually used up to about 35-37" tires and the AGR pump makes it a lot easier to turn the 35-37's..so you have a whole lot of pump with no resistance..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is one of the parts that I had in mind to be screwed into the bleed hole of the power steering cap:

Attachments

• 41sjcybq7mL._SX342_.jpg
    41sjcybq7mL._SX342_.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 159

Back