Help!! Cannot remove upper ball joint!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!! Cannot remove upper ball joint!!

KaiserM715

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Ford Raptor
I was under my truck (2000 Ranger 4x4) and noticed that the driver's side CV boot was ripped completely open and grease was everywhere. After reading some of the posts here, I thought I would try and replace it myself. I have the upper ball joint about 1/2 way out and I cannot get it out any further or back in. I completely removed the pinch bolt at the top of the steering knuckle. I had used a pry bar, with some 2x4's under it to pry it out to the point it is now. I am trying to avoid having to replace the upper ball joint. Any thoughts? I have to get my truck running by Tuesday (I have tomorrow off). Everything else has been taken apart and all I have left to get the old shaft out is to get the ball joint apart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried driving a cold chisel or screwdriver (if that's all you have available) into the slot where the pinch bolt was? That will help spread the hole some and should help it come out.

Success!! I used a WonderBar to pry the gap in the back open while I pried up with the pry bar. I did use quite a bit of penetrating oil throughout my previous attempts and I think that helped a lot. Thanks for the advice guys!!

Back