• Register Today It's free!

Help cant diagnose clunk

joebroni99

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 AWD 5.0
Well im at a loss right now. ive been enjoying my 92 xlt for so long now. but ive always had a clunk noise i never really took care of. It only clunks at certain times. Most often time is when i get in it the first time put it to drive and drive down my street to the stop sign. As soon as I press the brake I get a loud clunk. It seems to be coming from the front passenger side. Now heres what I have changed in the last six months. Upper and Lower Ball joints, Inner and outer tie rods, Shocks, Bearings, Brakes, Radius Arm Bushings, Radius arm Brackets. I just changed the bushings and brackets out of my truck over the weekend. I was figuring that it was the bushings on the passenger side because of what I read on here. When I dis-assembled that side the radius arm had clearly dug a hole into the top of the bracket where the bushing failed. So I figured that was it. However, after changing both brackets and bushings, I test drove it and got to the end of the street and heard the loud clunk. And this is where im at. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe C.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check out ur driveshaft. i seem 2 remember a similar post involving a friend of mine and th driveshaft was the culprit

Sorry I dont want to sound like an idiot, but what exactly should i be looking for on the drive shaft?

you didn't mention the axle beam bushings. they have given me clunking noises on 2 different vehicles in the past. usually the right side for some reason.

Yes i just read about the axle beam bushings. I will be checking them out later tonite. And also the sway bar bushings and links I have and am replacing hopefully this week.

Back