• Register Today It's free!

Help Engine Running Cold

FexplorerV8

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 expedition
i got a 96 xlt V8, I'v noticed that my engine is running cold, and this is affecting my gas performance, i'v changed the spark plugs, the cables, even have tried all kinds of additives to make the gas last longer but none of this helps, i was thinking that the thermostat is making it cold more than it needs, any imput would be greatly appreciated, I really need to get this fixed because im wasting all my money on gas!!! :confused: :eek: :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your thermostat is stuck open. Mine did the same thing pretty much all last winter. Replace it with an aftermarket one (Stant is good) since OEM thermostats stink. Replace lower and upper radiator hoses while you're at it and a flush won't hurt if you haven't done one recently.

Hope this helps

Agreed. The thermostat is stuck open.

where is this thermostat located and how much would it cost? any idea of the part number? :exp:

I don't know the location on a V8, Haynes manual covers it though. You can trace UPPER Radiator hose from radiator to the engine body and when it turns from rubber to metal tube, that is the thermostat housing. Cost- less than $10.00 for thermostat
$16.00 for the manual, ~$30.00 for upper and lower heater hoses + cost of coolant.

I almost forgot. Thermostat gasket you have to buy separate from the thermostat.

Follow the upper radiator hose to the engine. The thermostat will be right there in the thermostat housing that the upper hose connects to. You will need to remove the coilpack (the 2 boxes that all the spark plug wires go to) brackets to get to it.

thanks for the help i love this site :p its gonna be a pain to get that thing out but the MPG i get out of this thing are killing me :thumbdwn: :roll:

Back