Help! Front end noise

edwards1687

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hey guys,

I need some help figuring out this front end on my 01 Sport trac 4x4 . The passenger side has this rolling rattle/clunk sound that's hard to describe when I turn left. I can put the slightest pressure on the steering wheel to turn left and you can hear the noise. It tends to get louder on rougher pavement and curvy roads. I have replaced about my whole front end in the past couple months, I've had it in shop and still haven't been able to pin point this noise. I've replaced the CV axle, hubs, outer two piece control arm, drivers side control arm, ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, and sway bar end links.

My mechanic thought I got a faulty hub bearing because it tends to be louder when you load up the passenger side when your turning. They had it up on the lift and they said everything looked good. I'm going to replace he hub assembly just to be sure since it's under warranty. I have a hard time believing it's not the cv axle or hub assembly unless it's something in the differential. I'm hoping you guys could give me some more insight on this because I'm about to lose my mind if I don't figure it out!

Thanks,

Jared

I swapped out the cv axle and the hub assembly for new ones since they are under warranty and it didn't help. I still have the same noise...any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys,

I need some help figuring out this front end on my 01 Sport trac 4x4 . The passenger side has this rolling rattle/clunk sound that's hard to describe when I turn left. I can put the slightest pressure on the steering wheel to turn left and you can hear the noise. It tends to get louder on rougher pavement and curvy roads. I have replaced about my whole front end in the past couple months, I've had it in shop and still haven't been able to pin point this noise. I've replaced the CV axle, hubs, outer two piece control arm, drivers side control arm, ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, and sway bar end links.

My mechanic thought I got a faulty hub bearing because it tends to be louder when you load up the passenger side when your turning. They had it up on the lift and they said everything looked good. I'm going to replace he hub assembly just to be sure since it's under warranty. I have a hard time believing it's not the cv axle or hub assembly unless it's something in the differential. I'm hoping you guys could give me some more insight on this because I'm about to lose my mind if I don't figure it out!

Thanks,

Jared

I swapped out the cv axle and the hub assembly for new ones since they are under warranty and it didn't help. I still have the same noise...any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Jeez. I would look at the body mounts. Have you been outside the vehicle when it does it? Maybe you could have a buddy drive by while the sound happens and it would help you pin point it. It looks like you've done literally everything to fix it if it's in the front end which makes me doubt you're looking in the correct spot. I hope your luck turns.

Back