Help! Front springs won't compress enough to get off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Front springs won't compress enough to get off

blue_goose

Reaction score
City, State
WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4x4 4.0 200K
Replaced the broken springs in the rear with a whole new assembly and decided just to do the shocks on the front since the springs were ok and it was a difference of $100. Took off the front left and went to compress the spring and I compressed it so that there was about 1/4 inches between the coils and it still wasn't compressed enough to take off. I could barely turn the ratchet to tighten further and stopped in fear of ruining them and then messed up the threads on the compressors soon after because it was too tight. Has anyone successfully done this before???? I can cut my losses and just get the whole strut if I can still return the shocks if it isn't possible to do this. Due to the way these struts are its hard to get the compressors on the top and bottom of the spring, you have to start about 2 wraps down. The repair manual says its possible but I'm wondering if anyone has actually been successful here.

Back