• Register Today It's free!

Help!! How do I change bulbs!!

mercer21

Reaction score
City, State
NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 EXPLORER LIMITED
Hey I got all LED replacement lights bought for my interior and also my puddle lights, but I tryed to change both the interior lights, I took off the plastic piece and it seems impossible to get my hand or fingers even in there to repose the bulb?? Any one know if I'm doing something wrong?? Or do I have to take the whole over head colum down???

Next question is the puddle lights I have tryed to remove the plastic with a flat top, but so far have just cracked off little bits around the edges and I'm afraid if I try anymore I'll ruin it all together?? Is it just me or is the plastic extremly hard to remove on the puddle lights???

And just one more thing anyone know where to buy the halo fog lights I have seen on some EX's on car domain?? And will they fit right in or is there some customizeing involed?

this might help a little bit. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279963

as far as the puddle light you can search for that you will have to take the door panel off and alot of other work to get to the bulb. I had a sheet of transparent blue tint that i put on there and it works perfect just layered with like 2 or 3 layers or it to get it to the color i wanted. everything thing in the interior is leds though.

Hey I got all LED replacement lights bought for my interior and also my puddle lights, but I tryed to change both the interior lights, I took off the plastic piece and it seems impossible to get my hand or fingers even in there to repose the bulb?? Any one know if I'm doing something wrong?? Or do I have to take the whole over head colum down???

The post above gave a link to my thread. I had a lot of problem changing these bulbs also. ALOT! What you have to do is take off the whole overhead console. Well you may not have to, but thats the only way I know how to. It is not hard at all and only takes a few minutes. It is only held on by one screw and about three of four clips. The screw is located in the compartment furthest away from the dome light. The compartment that is meant for a garage door opener. Take out the screw, now your almost there. Grab the overhead console by the dome light. Pull straight down towards the ground, You may need to wiggle it or really get your fingers underneath there. Don't be scared to add some force. The first time I did it I was scared and took me a few days to man up to just pulled it down as hard as I can. There is only clips, once you pull it down real hard your overhead console will be completely detached. Now the overhead console is held on by two wiring harnesses. Disconnect them. Now take the entire overhead console to a work bench. You will need to work from the top of the console to change the bulbs, so basically upside down. I needed to bend the metal reflective metal/aluminum to get my fingers in there. It is very stressful, and takes some time. PATIENCE! If you need anything else, let me know. I hope this helps.

Next question is the puddle lights I have tryed to remove the plastic with a flat top, but so far have just cracked off little bits around the edges and I'm afraid if I try anymore I'll ruin it all together?? Is it just me or is the plastic extremly hard to remove on the puddle lights???

And just one more thing anyone know where to buy the halo fog lights I have seen on some EX's on car domain?? And will they fit right in or is there some customizeing involed?

The puddle lamps, ahhhh. I went to the store and bought a VERY VERY VERY thin flat blade screw driver. I found the razor blades did not work as people said. They would break on me, actually to be honest there is still a piece of razor blade in my puddle lamp! Insert the extremely thin screw driver up into the puddle lamp as far as you. Make sure you are doing this on the side furthest from the car (closest to you). Wiggle it up as much as you can and try to pry it down carefully. It is tricky and takes patience to get it down. Good Luck.

For the fog lights, go to ebay and search Explorer Halo Fog Lights. There is plenty of them on there.

Hope this helps, if you need anything just post back here.

Back