• Register Today It's free!

help, intermittent tach

tdapsr

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Eddi Bauer
00 SOHC V6. Sometimes the tach is inop. If I tap on the instrument panel it will come to life and function correctly. I've removed the instrument panel and cleaned the wire connectors with no results. I noticed some distortion to the (don't know the proper name) electronic panel sticker gizmo :D on the instrument panel and have heard that Ford has had some problems with the instrument panels but I'm not sure if that includes the 00 Explorers. Any ideas? I'm fairly convinced it must be a short in the panel due to the fact that when I tap on the cluster it comes to life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like a short in the cluster. I would get a another cluster and swap it out.

Thanks. I am afraid ur right. I don't think it'll be worth the expense. I can only imagine how much those babies are.

The problem is likely to be an intermittant open circuit in the tach wiring, not a short circuit. A short circuit suggests that two or more conductors are unintentionally touching each other - probably not the case. Further, a short circuit would likely blow a fuse. First check the connectors - there are three - behind the cluster. You can get a good used cluster at a wrecking yard for about $50 - $75.

Thanks

Thanks, I've checked and cleaned the 3 connectors (with an eraser and some electrical connector cleaner) to the cluster and still have the same problem. Out here in So. Cal. I have had extemely unpleasent experiences with junk yards. Some of these guys seem to think I don't know the difference between a Ford and a Chevy so I don't waste my time with them any longer. Quite frankly they (junk yards) make me want to vomit. :D

When I lived in So. Cal. I used to go to the Pick-n-Pull and Ecology yards. These are pull-it-yourself and easy to deal with.

tach problem update

I drove my son's explorer yesterday and it was having the same tach issues listed earlier with a new twist. I went to pass a vehicle and when the tranny downshifted to 2nd, the tach just pegged off of the chart, literally, then dropped to zero after a bit. Any new suggestions?

Back