• Register Today It's free!

Help, leaking fuel line!

Darrman

Reaction score
City, State
Waxahachie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4/2001 Sport
I am sick of smelling gas, I have replaced the fuel pump and the o-rings, was still smelling it. I got suspicious and checked, sure enough, its leaking right in front of the fuel filter. Its not the coupler itself, its in the collar that goes from the coupler into the braided hose that covers the line. I had someone replace the filter, I did not feel like jacking with it that day, they said they had a hell of a time getting the old filter off, I guess they busted it in the process. Anyways, is there any way to fix this, last resort is to get that chunk of the line replaced, junkyard part only, no body sells it, the section from the filter to the motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont know who changed ur fuel filter but it took me about 25 mins to change mine and it was extremely simple....but i would assume just getting a new line would be your best bet...

I had a local franchise change it, I bought the filter somewhere else. I should have done it myself, but I had just finished replacing the fuel pump, again, and was being lazy.
Anyways, I checked this morning, had someone prime the pump, no leak. Then I had them start it, no leak. I am guessing that it has to get hot before it starts. The day before, I had gas dripping out on the ground.

I have changed the fuel filter and fuel pump (which have the same lines and fittings) and I had to fight the fuel pump lines for a long long time before getting them to come off. Anyway take a peek at the Fuel filter Removal tread for lots of good info and pics.. IMO the shop probably couldn't get the lines off with the tool and just pulled real hard.. This would have pulled the lines and garter spring out.. If the re-installed the new filter without the garter spring then the fitting will not be under constant tension resulting in an intermittent leak problem.. These springs are replaceable for a few $ at most auto parts stores.

I bought some of those last week, when I first noticed the problem. But when I started actually inspecting the line up close, thats when I saw its not leaking out of the coupler, where the spring/clip is, but about a inch behind it where it goes into the braided part of the line. also right at that spot, it looks like it has a small crook, not really a bend, but it looks broken. I am guessing that the mechanic used a set of pliers and was yanking it back and forth to get it off and broke it right there in front of where you would place the pliers. its probably just a small crack in the line, that leaks when it expands from heat. I would go back to the place, but if they were dumb enough to do that the first time, then I dont want them messing up anything else. This is what I get for being lazy, and letting someone else work on it.

Bummer. Like you say, thats what you get for letting some ding-a-ling work on it. I would go the the junk yard and pick one up there and put it on. You might be able to put a rubber hose over the break area but its pretty close to the connector. Good luck.

Back