Help me out a bit. Big project. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me out a bit. Big project.

I am here to help a friend. He wants to get a pre-95 Explorer and put a v8 in it, SAS, and run some bigger tires.

Right now the plan is 302 sb, d44, and 35s.

I am not sure what the 302 would come out of though? Mustangs, and Explorers? Anything else?

We aren't really set on whether we want to run Leafsprings or coils, so I guess it all depends on what axle we get. How much fab work would have to be done to get coils to work on the Explorer?

I am not familiar with TTB, so I don't have a clue.

As far as tires, he wants to run some 35x12.5x15 Mud Terrains on 15x8 MT Classic II's for road use, and 35x16 boggers on some cheapo black wheels for wheeling.

Planning on lockers and 4.56 gears as well.

So here is the thing. He has about $10,000 right now, and I am trying to figure out how much this is all going to cost, so that we can find out how much he needs to get for this to work. We want to do all of it at once if we can.

Also, how hard is it to run X-over steering on an explorer SAS? I know that on my 78 K20, I need to get a 2wd box, Xover knuckle, and custom draglink. But what about an Explorer?

Any help is well apreciated. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, he hasn't bought the Explorer yet. lol

Honestly I would buy the parts first. Buy the Explorer next. :) I betcha he can find a real worn out Explorer for a good cheap cost. Since its all going to be replaced that doesn't matter anyway.:)

As far as what parts to buy, I really can't answer that. :)

Originally posted by Aquaman
I am here to help a friend. He wants to get a pre-95 Explorer and put a v8 in it, SAS, and run some bigger tires.

Right now the plan is 302 sb, d44, and 35s.

I am not sure what the 302 would come out of though? Mustangs, and Explorers? Anything else?

We aren't really set on whether we want to run Leafsprings or coils, so I guess it all depends on what axle we get. How much fab work would have to be done to get coils to work on the Explorer?

I am not familiar with TTB, so I don't have a clue.

As far as tires, he wants to run some 35x12.5x15 Mud Terrains on 15x8 MT Classic II's for road use, and 35x16 boggers on some cheapo black wheels for wheeling.

Planning on lockers and 4.56 gears as well.

So here is the thing. He has about $10,000 right now, and I am trying to figure out how much this is all going to cost, so that we can find out how much he needs to get for this to work. We want to do all of it at once if we can.

Also, how hard is it to run X-over steering on an explorer SAS? I know that on my 78 K20, I need to get a 2wd box, Xover knuckle, and custom draglink. But what about an Explorer?

Any help is well apreciated. :D

I agree with rpenner

Find a clapped out half junked, broken whatever explorer. 2wd, 4wd, Blown motor, trans, axles doesn't matter if you're going to replace it all.

I know on "another" board it was asked if you want full width or if you want to use early bronco axles which are slightly wider than a stock explorer etc. The reality is, you can probably score the full width d44 & 9" for the price of just the early bronco d44. The eb stuff sells for a lot of money and is much harder to find a good deal on.

If it's decided to go for full width (full size axles) For ease of installation I'd recommend, if the axle is already coil sprung put it under the explorer coil sprung. If it was leaf sprung locate it that way. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will simplify the process alot.

Putting an early bronco coil sprung d44 under a ttb anything is by far the simplest and most straight forward way of doing the sas.

Motor, I'd go for the mustang 5.0 (302). Lots of people have done it and efi just kicks butt for a wheeler, search around all the ranger based vehicle sites, there is lots of info to be found.

Finding a complete 5.0 with trans and t-case would be ideal and relief a lot of headache. Atleast just try and score a trans and t-case combo that will work with the 5.0

The steering... technically a coil sprung ford axle already uses "cross over" so that's not really an issue. You really need to get into high-steer if you go leaf sprung because the passenger side leaf is in the way of where a drag link needs to be. So here it depends on which route you go.

I think this could be done for 10k, research research research then shop around for those good deals

:D

We are definately going with Crossover. I just need to find out how. Don't want that lift steer BS... I have it on my K20, and it isn't goin over very well.

If you could have told me sooner, I had two offers on Some Explorer both went to a yard already. A 92 Navajo bad Motor and a 91 Explorer bad Trans. Both 2wd but that is not a problem. The Navajos price was only $700.00

Now I know People say to use Mustang Motors but I think a 96 Explorer 5.0 is a better choice. You have The short front accs. and a Truck style cam More Torque better for Off-road use. The only problem I found with this motor is you cant use the 96 Explorer wiring. You will need a Ford Motor sport wiring a convert the Motor to ODB-1 <------ This is what I plan to do.

Last thing. Dont go with 4.56 Gears go with 4.88 or 5.13 Trust me.

Exactly.

As for the steering, it is nowhere near what your Chevy was like.

The TTBed vehicles have a steering box with a pitman arm that points down and toward the radiator, not out from the frame toward the tire.

Crossover steering is pretty much a given unless you choose to run the screwy "inverted-Y" style that came on 76-77 EB D44s.

I would suggest High-Steer for either setup (leafs or coils) as it will move your tie-rod up over the centerline of the axle. The higher you can get it the safer it is from rocks, branches, stumps, hoods, etc.

As for the gears, since it seems it will be dual purpose, 5.13s and 35s will probably be a little low for the highway since it will surely see a lot of miles on pavement.

I'd probably go with the 4.88s since there will be a V8 pushing it.

Cory,

My 5.13 gears are not too bad on the hwy. I had it up to 85 Mph yesterday and still was right under 3000 rpms I only have 36's but I tried on a 35 while I was at work and it was not much smaller.

STOP!!!!!

Have your friend talk to me or Joe Dietz before he undertakes this. Send me a PM if you want either of our phone numbers.

Brett

Brett,

May I ask why?

Back