• Register Today It's free!

Help me save my baby

Peck

Reaction score
City, State
Mishawaka In
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
ok so today i got stuck in snow was rocking it back and forth then suddenly no first gear i still have reverse no warning light and can drive if i start in 2nd then after about 15mph shift into drive everything is normal until i go to stop then needs to go back into 2nd to start off again no warning lights and every other gear shifts smooth if its just in drive at a stop if u rev it kinda feels like it trys to move just wont roll any ideas is the trans trashed plz help if i can figure it out she might be scraped

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

up date u can smell burning clutch while in first

so, apparently it's a manual transmission? if you smell burning clutch, then the clutch is slipping in first gear. when you start off in second it's harder for it to slip (kinda like starting off in 2nd when on ice/snow). the clutch will need to be replaced. you can get a clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and alignment tool) starting at around $120. i would also replace the throw-out bearing while you're in there.

I am pretty sure this is an auto transmission problem.

Seems like a pressure issue. I wonder if the separator plate gasket has blown?

Heck, it could even be a partially clogged filter-has the fluid ever been changed?

I am pretty sure this is an auto transmission problem.

Seems like a pressure issue. I wonder if the separator plate gasket has blown?

Heck, it could even be a partially clogged filter-has the fluid ever been changed?

i assumed it was an automatic initially, but then the OP started talking about smelling burning clutch, so now i'm not sure which he has. he does talk about "DRIVE" so maybe it is an automatic... i added a question mark to my initial reply.

so, apparently it's a manual transmission? if you smell burning clutch, then the clutch is slipping in first gear. when you start off in second it's harder for it to slip (kinda like starting off in 2nd when on ice/snow). the clutch will need to be replaced. you can get a clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and alignment tool) starting at around $120. i would also replace the throw-out bearing while you're in there.

That doesn't make sense. 1st gear is easier on the clutch.

it has a little move in first but wont actually drive if i put it manually in 2nd it will start off then just go to drive its fine everything feels fine just no first gear no flashing od light no check engine light just was rocking back and forth to get out of snow then just 1st gone
also reverse still works fine shops and ppl have told me gasket/bands/clutch pack/and soliniods

Still begs the question, is it a stick shift or a manual transmission that you are dropping into 1st or 2nd and not leaving it in D.

If it is a stick, is the clutch pedal very light on the pressure and releasing high up the travel area of the pedal? Usually you can feel a blown clutch in the clutch pedal itself and how it acts. At least that was every bad clutch I ever had.

Still begs the question, is it a stick shift or a manual transmission that you are dropping into 1st or 2nd and not leaving it in D.

If it is a stick, is the clutch pedal very light on the pressure and releasing high up the travel area of the pedal? Usually you can feel a blown clutch in the clutch pedal itself and how it acts. At least that was every bad clutch I ever had.

Yeah, Like you could leave a manual transmission in "D" ;)

Uhhhhhh maybe I meant automatic transmission

Wheres my coffee..... anyone seen it? lol

yes its auto and full of fluid

also no idea on the fluid change it still looks nice a bright red but the lvl seems to have gone up

Check the radiator--coolant. It is possible to have an internal leak in the radiator causing coolant to get into the transmission fluid.

If the coolant level is low I would be suspicious. Traces of red oil may be visible right under the radiator cap.

Tranny oil in the coolant will take on the appearance of a strawberry / chocolate milkshake. It will kill the tranny with no real warnings prior damage being done.

I just dealt with this on my sisters pathfinder. Seems 05-10 Nissan trucks / suvs have a backup tranny cooler that runs through the rad. She just had to get a rebuilt tranny and rad.

rad coolent green no other color (it does leak but at normal 98 rad spot top area under cap) also rad fluid is still nice and green no other colors lmao

Back